Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Falling Over?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Sorry to hear about your fall Pete and the injuries you sustained.

Yes, confidence is an important element, but I was wondering whether some light weight training might help. As someone who is erm...also definitely advancing in my own years, I'm aware that muscle tone, etc, can slacken off as we inexorably shuffle our way towards the door marked 'exit' ( ) Weight training helps maintain our proprioception and general balance and, supposedly, helps us to catch ourselves, even unconsciously, before we list too far from the vertical and catch ourselves before we hit the dirt if we do stumble!

Have a speedy recovery.
    Thanks - appreciate the support from everyone on here.

Weights are something I've not really used but I have considered including them in my training of late especially as I've had to give up climbing/bouldering which I guess filled that gap before.
    I already need to do about 30 minutes of daily physio which keeps my core in shape and strengthens those areas which these days, are sadly waning!
    So I'll need to think through how I balance that with any additional weight training but definitely worth considering.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post

Weights are something I've not really used but I have considered including them in my training of late especially as I've had to give up climbing/bouldering which I guess filled that gap before.
    I already need to do about 30 minutes of daily physio which keeps my core in shape and strengthens those areas which these days, are sadly waning!
    So I'll need to think through how I balance that with any additional weight training but definitely worth considering.
    Strength training advocate for 'mature' people, with some pointers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT3-wonZR2Q
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post

No need for weights :-

https://betterme.world/articles/bodyweight-vs-weights/

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the...-out-anywhere/

Just utilise your body weight/imagination and the gym that nature provides us with and train where ever and whenever you want to, for me there is nothing like a spur of the moment al fresco workout to break up a walk or run.

Hope all goes well for you.
    Last edited by JohnK; 07-07-2022 at 07:47 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I fell over a fair few years ago and broke my arm/elbow. However, I did what all proper runners do and got up and finished the run, had a bath, etc before going to hospital.

Last Saturday I fell over again at the top of the crazy hill in the Cliffe Castle Park Run. Can still barely move my shoulder, knee still swollen from the fall, and ankle/achilles on the other foot still swollen. I've still no idea how I managed to fall, and somersault several times in the way that I did, but two lovely ladies I'd just lapped picked me up, gave me a bit of TLC, and I was on my way.

I have regular slips and slides, but every few years I have a truly epic fall.

Quote Originally Posted by RobGrillo View Post
    I fell over a fair few years ago and broke my arm/elbow. However, I did what all proper runners do and got up and finished the run, had a bath, etc before going to hospital.

Last Saturday I fell over again at the top of the crazy hill in the Cliffe Castle Park Run. Can still barely move my shoulder, knee still swollen from the fall, and ankle/achilles on the other foot still swollen. I've still no idea how I managed to fall, and somersault several times in the way that I did, but two lovely ladies I'd just lapped picked me up, gave me a bit of TLC, and I was on my way.

I have regular slips and slides, but every few years I have a truly epic fall.
    Rob, this sounds very like my falling over episode at Duddon earlier in the year. A loop of old fencing wire took me down and I fell with outstretched arms, I heard the crack of the breaking bone as I hit the desk. It was a fracture of the radial head in my left elbow and like you I finished the race, stayed overnight in my van and went to hospital next day. Still can't straighten it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Rob, this sounds very like my falling over episode at Duddon earlier in the year. A loop of old fencing wire took me down and I fell with outstretched arms, I heard the crack of the breaking bone as I hit the desk. It was a fracture of the radial head in my left elbow and like you I finished the race, stayed overnight in my van and went to hospital next day. Still can't straighten it properly.
    Sounds like my break whilst coming off Robinson. I had screws fitted to put my elbow back together. 2 weeks later I was fell walking in Majorca with a large pot on and fell again. The pot was crushed and the screws bent so no chance of a straight arm now.
    One step beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    That's taking working from home too far. Hit the desk?

Fell hard today at langdale, first biggun in 14y of fell running. It won't put me off, but I must remember to keep my eyes on the floor when it's rocky.

My leg is killing.

Today may heve been a bad day! I was running Withens Skyline and fell three times! Luckily none too bad and no blood. Seemed to affect those around me. Woman in front of me did a lovely full body fall into a peaty hole - I think she may well need a shower. Another guy passing me (very polite - Coming through on the right) totally blew it and did a full somersault(sp).
    Lovely race - don't know why I've never done it before, and I beat Dave! My wife was pleased to receive two Curly wurly's,