Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Falling Over?

Re: Falling Over?

I have a long standing reputation for falling over - my knees and shins look like a map o the Underground. Mostly cured this by getting contacts especially for bad weather running.
    Odd thing, my left leg has copped for most of the damage, prob 80%. They saying running is a one legged action don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by John4of5 View Post
    I have a long standing reputation for falling over - my knees and shins look like a map o the Underground. Mostly cured this by getting contacts especially for bad weather running.
    Odd thing, my left leg has copped for most of the damage, prob 80%. They saying running is a one legged action don't they?
    i think they call that hopping?

I fell on Kinder last year - well it was the 'Downfall'. I pulled a ligament in my leg which has just recently repaired enough for me to go back on the hills.
    I once tripped over a running shoe lace while running on holiday in Italy, running past a group of young italian women - I was suitably embararssed, it was quite a spectacular fall if their reactions were anything to go by.

fell decending ingleboro at ppp this year-i was spectating-runner walking up steep part said it was funniest thing he had ever seen & that if he'd had the energy he would have laughed! also have mastered the art of a 20 foot fall-not height but length-its the one when it takes 20 foot to actually hit the floor having tried your hardest to remain upright!

I performed a fabulous fall last night!

More of a slip really but it was a beauty!

After going though a kissing gate, and stepped in a slippy rock and fell in the mud.
    10 out of 10 if i say so myself - i even but my best pair of shorts on because i thought there was no chance id fall over.

Ouch! Some pretty serious sounding falls here and it's been a loooooong time since anyone posted in this thread, any new thrills to spills?

I have a very fast reaction to loss of balance and somehow (don't ask me how, I don't know) I seem to be able to throw my body weight around to compensate and recover mid fall to be able to carry on running. It takes an enormous amount of effort and usually involves throwing my arms out at just the right angle - again how I do this is anyone guess, it just happens. The pay off for this is significant short term loss of energy and usually a twinge in a muscle or two that also disappears quite soon afterwards.

As a pretty extreme example, I remember one time out on a long walk around Langdale, the sun was setting and we decided to run down the track to the pub before it got dark. Jumping over a river I miscalculated and landed leaning far to forward, totally off balance, instinctively my arms flew backwards, the focus of the energy up and back, this wasn't enough, I was still falling but somehow still running forward too, so my arms did another full circle, again with all the energy thrown out up and back, still not enough, the third cycle pulled me back up straight again and I carried on. All this in a series of gasps from the folk behind me, they were sure I was going to land from running at full pelt face down in the grit. Apparently it looked hilarious and stupidly impossible. I can only imagine. I wish it had been captured on film - I'd have liked to have see myself, but this was before phones had cameras and the like.

I guess this happens all the time and we're constantly correcting things on every step, just perhaps not to such extreme degrees?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I have a bit of a reputation for falling over (and plenty of scars to prove it!)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

There are a couple of muscles at the edge of the neck called the platysma. If you try and do an impression of a wide mouthed frog you can usually see them stand out - have a look next time you are in front of a mirror (probably next year then for most fell runners)...

I fell descending Coniston once and flew horizontally like some kind of low rent superhero before crashing into the only bit of mercifully soft ground on the hill. Obviously I was in front of some young ladies walking up the hill (of course - these things never happen unseen do they?) but I bounced back up and carried on majestically (in my mind anyway).

The following day my neck ached appallingly and after some investigation I discovered I had strained both my platysma as a result of extreme gurning as I flew. I must have looked like Les Dawson in the throes of sexual ecstasy. This may have explained their laughter, in hindsight.

b

Just back from AE after falling over yesterday. 20m from the car and I dodged out of the way of an old lady and her dog. Ended up with 15 stitches in my knee. There was a flap of skin hanging off exposing 4sq inches of flesh. Took them 2 hours to clean out all the debris. I'm now hobbling around like an old man. Not allowed to drive or bend it for a week. I'm going to go off my head. Great service from the local AE in Portree though. No waiting and very professional. I should have trampled the old lady.
    Neil

My classic last year; I was running along a very narrow path with burn heather on each side. The loop of my shoe lace caught the very stiff heather and I was flat on my face before I knew what had happned. I tie very small loops now.