Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof socks

Re: Waterproof socks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    They are not actually waterproof but act in the same way a wetsuit does - thin layer of water between your skin and the sock which provides some degree of warmth/prevents your feet feeling like block of ice. I have some old Porelle Drys which do make a difference when running through ice cold slush.
    I disagree. Sealskinz ARE waterproof when bought. Eventually with wear they are not, but are still, as Ady says, some use. You can prolong their life by washing them as seldom as possible and never in detergent in the washing machine. I keep mine clean by wearing them with thin liner socks inside and Shortie Event gaiters outside. I don't see why running should wear them out faster than walking, after all walkers often do more miles than runners. I certainly run in mine and feel I get reasonable wear out of them.

As regards the fit, I like the rather loose style as it does make it easier to wear liner socks inside (which also make them warmer). However I understand Sealskinz have now re-vamped them to give a tighter fit.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I disagree. Sealskinz ARE waterproof when bought. Eventually with wear they are not, but are still, as Ady says, some use. You can prolong their life by washing them as seldom as possible and never in detergent in the washing machine. I keep mine clean by wearing them with thin liner socks inside and Shortie Event gaiters outside. I don't see why running should wear them out faster than walking, after all walkers often do more miles than runners. I certainly run in mine and feel I get reasonable wear out of them.

As regards the fit, I like the rather loose style as it does make it easier to wear liner socks inside (which also make them warmer). However I understand Sealskinz have now re-vamped them to give a tighter fit.
    If you run through a stream and the water is above your sock line your feet will get wet regardless of how waterproof the material is. There are waterproof shoes out there but no use when you run through water deeper than the shoe..........?

Just thought of an idea for a new race, 'The Wharfedale Wellington Whiz' don't forget your vaseline, saves painful wellie slap!
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    If you run through a stream and the water is above your sock line your feet will get wet regardless of how waterproof the material is. There are waterproof shoes out there but no use when you run through water deeper than the shoe..........?
    True, but Sealskinz Mid socks come up higher than shoes or even boots and they are closer fitting at the tops. If the water comes up high enough you may drown whatever your footwear.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I have used a pair of 'ALDER Titanium' (wetsuit material) on a few occasions and found them very warm. They are not waterproof but let through cold water at a much slower rate than normal fabric socks so that the foot is always in contact with water which has been warmed up. I wore them in a frosty/dry High Peak Marathon and my feet were too hot (I don't suffer from cold extremities). ydt

i have been using sealskinz all year and wear them as i dont get blisters on long events and stay dry.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    i have been using sealskinz all year and wear them as i dont get blisters on long events and stay dry.
    I find them too hot except in winter.

Master

Had a look/tried on Sealskinz recently - £25 - 35 per pair. Sizing is wrong - they are much too big for their stated size - and they are an odd shape so make sure you try them on. If you stretch them a bit you can see the membrane which looks a bit flimsy to stand up to the rigours of fell running. One of the pairs I looked at had small bits of vegetation in it, implying it was a return. I decided not to buy them in the end, though clearly some people feel they work.

Winter before last I returned a pair of the thinnest Sealskinz because they didn't work (let in water almost immediately).
    And last winter did the same.
    I just don't think they are robust enough for running in.
    And the medium ones would be way too thick for running, for me, so I gave up.

I had a pair of Rockys goretex oversocks from Canada which were great, if a bit tricky to get the fit right. But not sure if anyone sells them here.

I find socks sort of de"feet" the object of bare foot running...

Seal skins for me, Had about 4 years they might leak now not that thats important when wading through streams but they do keep your feet warm even when soaked ala wetsuits. Cheap neoprene socks are available on ebay
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 06-12-2011 at 10:51 AM.