Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankles

Ankles

Cheesed off! About 12 years ago i had a climbing accident when i pulled a loose block from the cliff i was climbing on. I fell about 35-40 feet and landed on my heels and hands (very scary seeing all the gear pop while i fell!). Both Calcaneous were fractured and various other bones in the ankles were broken along with lots of soft tissue damage. The doctors wanted to fuse the ankles! I was told i would never run again! Two weeks after they took the plasters off i walked up Snowdon ( camped overnight at the bottom of cloggy, so i suppose it took two days! It was a little painfull.) I now have quite weak ankles, i went over on one yesterday and can't run tonight ( ok on the bike today though ). I remember reading in Feet in the clouds about standing on one foot with the eyes closed to strengthen the ankles. I was just wondering does anyone have any advice/ ideas for ankle strengthening?

Cheers, Steve.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Re: Ankles

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Cheesed off! About 12 years ago i had a climbing accident when i pulled a loose block from the cliff i was climbing on. I fell about 35-40 feet and landed on my heels and hands (very scary seeing all the gear pop while i fell!). Both Calcaneous were fractured and various other bones in the ankles were broken along with lots of soft tissue damage. The doctors wanted to fuse the ankles! I was told i would never run again! Two weeks after they took the plasters off i walked up Snowdon ( camped overnight at the bottom of cloggy, so i suppose it took two days! It was a little painfull.) I now have quite weak ankles, i went over on one yesterday and can't run tonight ( ok on the bike today though ). I remember reading in Feet in the clouds about standing on one foot with the eyes closed to strengthen the ankles. I was just wondering does anyone have any advice/ ideas for ankle strengthening?

Cheers, Steve.
    I once badly sprained my ankle, obviously nothing like as severe as what happened to you. The affected ankle is still weak at times. Standing on one foot with your eyes closed was also recommended to me by the physio. He also suggested standing on the weak foot and juggling with two socks. Proprioception can also be improved by using a wobble board

A work colleague was just telling me about wobble boards. Sounds like the kind of thing i could make.
    My island is very nice

hiya, i had right ankle problems when very young, something to do with it not being formed properly, i had surgery (many times) to correct it, some of it's fused so i have reduced movement, therefore, when i run, i have a limp which makes me look like i'm injured when i'm not, it's just the reduced movement. However, this ankle was badly twisted also when i was in Ta so has always been weaker and after big runs, swells and hurts. usually goes down after a coupl eof days, all back to normal. I just have to take the pain, dont let it beat me, and take aniinflamatories and pain killers, only way to sort it
    Last edited by Darth domain; 10-02-2009 at 01:57 PM.
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Just spent the last hour looking at wobble boards ( very busy, boss. ). I think i may order one. If they do all they promise, 17 quid is a bargain!
    My island is very nice

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Just spent the last hour looking at wobble boards ( very busy, boss. ). I think i may order one. If they do all they promise, 17 quid is a bargain!
    I got one cheap out of TK Maxx, in amongst the ladies exercise equipment (light weights, yoga mats, etc.). Think it cost about a £5? Might be worth a look.

I started using it to build my proprioception as once I started fell-running, every other step turned my ankle and was very sore afterwards.

Seemed to work. I think the idea is to try and stand on it and distract yourself somehow - get someone to throw things at you to catch, close your eyes...I do arm curls and squats with dumbells on mine. Also tried the trick of standing on one leg whilst cleaning my teeth (cheers FITC) and whenever I stretch my quads.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

You could also try balancing on a couple of cushions or folded over pillow for a low budget effect. You can buy wobble cushions too, not tried them though. I've sprained my ankle three times recently and find I'm susceptible when tired, e.g. after a really hard run or trying to squeeze a second run in.

You could try also one legged slow squats. Do both sides. You can do quite a bit with a wobble board, not just balancing. Controlled tilting back to front, side to side, clockwise circles, anti-clockwise. Try chucking a ball, or closing your eyes when you get cocky.

Have turned the same ankle four times. This time I thought I would try and build the strength up. Apperently when the ankle is damaged it reduces the ability to detect if its not level ( there is a fancy word for this starting with p but i cant remember it!) It has certainly worked, I not only feel more confident I can also stand on one leg a lot better (for the quad stretch). Srenghth building can be done by standing on one leg, perhaps when cleaning your teeth or boiling the kettle - building up to eyes shut. You can also start by standing on a cushion - dont let the wife catch you- or a hot water bottle. It is worth the effort.

Looks like I have been beaten with the good advice!

Cheers guys, the wobble board is ordered.
    My island is very nice