Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Causey Pike

Causey Pike

I've found out I will be in the Lakes for the weekend of this race (24th I think it is) so fancy giving it a whirl.

I know it is a few weeks away but is anyone else planning to be there? Also is there anything I need to know about the route other than follow the folk ahead, straight up and down the hill with the big bobble on top?!

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Re: Causey Pike

S'easy!

Starts in Stair just neaxt to the outdoor centre, up the road to the junction then up a path that takes you onto Rowling End. Straight alomg the ridge, and up to the "bobble". Then off the back, to the col before Scar Crags, where you turn straight down the hill, across the beck, and onto the old mine track. Leg it down there, then 200m before the mine road bends left, you need to cut down left and accross the beck. This is a bit tricky as there is only one place you can cross, so you need to get this right. Out of the beck, and round a contour path back to the road. If you get this wrong, you end up dropping to the road by the Stoneycroft Bridge, and then have to run uphill to get to the road junction back into Stair.

Hope that makes sense!

david

Quote Originally Posted by marrow View Post
    you need to cut down left and accross the beck.
    Er, I think you mean right

That's ironic Trossachs! that you'll be in the Lakes the very weekend of the Trossachs Duathlon on your doorstep.
    http://www.carnethy.com/ri_trossdua.htm

I did this last year and there was a snake most of the way up then a marshall pointing us down the hill after the top (it may even have been flagged??). The only tricky bit, as marrow said, is finding the stream crossing point when you leave the track. I followed the guy in front.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Er, I think you mean right
    Drat, caught out - I have to maintain a competitive advanatge somehow!!

(it is, of course, right)

Quote Originally Posted by marrow View Post
    S'easy!

Starts in Stair just neaxt to the outdoor centre, up the road to the junction then up a path that takes you onto Rowling End. Straight alomg the ridge, and up to the "bobble". Then off the back, to the col before Scar Crags, where you turn straight down the hill, across the beck, and onto the old mine track. Leg it down there, then 200m before the mine road bends left, you need to cut down left and accross the beck. This is a bit tricky as there is only one place you can cross, so you need to get this right. Out of the beck, and round a contour path back to the road. If you get this wrong, you end up dropping to the road by the Stoneycroft Bridge, and then have to run uphill to get to the road junction back into Stair.

Hope that makes sense!
    Inpeccable decscription Marrow!!

Might also put a post up in 'sales and wants'...

...but is anyone going through Ambleside for this race with a spare place in a car?

Ta.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    anyone going through Ambleside for this race
    Ta.
    Sorry Noor am staying in a barn in Whitehaven so coming in wrong way, but say hello to a lone Westie if you see me.
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Today was the first time I'd done Causey and what a fantastic race. Well done to Ricky Lightfoot on a good victory. What great weather we had; lovely and sunny. The finish route was reccied before hand, so thanks to everyone's advice on here. Feeling fully inspired again after a long winter. Many thanks to the organisers too.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.