Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: folding numbers

folding numbers

why do organisers get their knickers in a twist when competitors fold their numbers. as long as the number is visible then there is no problem. folding around the number does not make the number itself any smaller. an idiot marshall at the Garstang 10k tried to rugby tackle me 100 yards from the finish because my number was folded (i was running that slow by then he mis-timed his tackle and missed) so I finished then to find out they only had large T-shirts.
    I know sponsors names are on the numbers but I am not a professional and dont think we should be bound to advertise a retailer or other business if we do not want to.
    In windy weather I always fold the number to increase the paper thickness so they do not rip as there is nothing worse than a half pinned number flapping when you are trying to concentrate on not coming last.

Re: folding numbers

It's annoying not being able to fold, but if the race relies on a small amount of sponsorship to keep costs down - fair enough surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    It's annoying not being able to fold, but if the race relies on a small amount of sponsorship to keep costs down - fair enough surely?
    But the sponsership that the advertising on the number recieves is surely going to come from the runners anyway, who will see there own number so wont need to see everyone elses????

Sensible answer would be that if the numbers have a name on them, odds are they've been provided for free, and often some other sort of support may have been given such as prize donations. If everyone hid their number, the sponsorship would be at risk of being withdrawn. It's up to the race organiser to decide whether to accept the sponsorship or add something on the race entry fee, and can't do this on an individual basis. If you don't want to comply then the only option is to not run their race. I guess there's also a chance that the number could be from any other race and isn't identifiable as being that for an entrant in that race.

Soundly less of a sensible answer, but justifying the actions, is that it was also a road race, and UKA rules apply to everyone, not just the front runners but your average runner finishing a long way behind the leaders.

UKA rule 18(1)
    Competitors shall be supplied with and wear during competition a
    distinctive number card corresponding with their number in the programme or
    start list. No competitor shall be allowed to take part in any competition
    without wearing the appropriate number card(s) and such card(s) must be
    worn as issued and not be cut, folded or otherwise concealed or mutilated in
    any way. In races in excess of 10,000m these cards may be manufactured with perforations to assist the circulation of air, but the perforations must not be made on any of the lettering or numerals which appear on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    But the sponsership that the advertising on the number recieves is surely going to come from the runners anyway, who will see there own number so wont need to see everyone elses????
    What about spectators, or perhaps more relevant race photos/videos that have a much wider audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    In windy weather I always fold the number to increase the paper thickness so they do not rip as there is nothing worse than a half pinned number flapping when you are trying to concentrate on not coming last.
    A good tip I picked up from Luv Shack is to scrumple up the number and then open it again before pinning it on. This stops it from flapping around. Works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    What about spectators, or perhaps more relevant race photos/videos that have a much wider audience?
    True maybe, but for a fell race for example, the number of spectators is generally not that large unless its a big race, and as for the race picies the people who look at them are also generally the racers themself?

I can undertstand the sponcer being pissed off though.

Sponsors logos aren't there to advertise purely to the runners, they get seen by spectators, appear on photos used in the local rag, FRA/AW magazines etc - and the photos galleries/flicker/facebook etc often seen after a race. If you've put a few hundred quid plus into a race and then see the local rag run a photo with your logo folded out of view, you won't be sponsoring the event the next year (a lot of organisers have a habbit of "forgetting" to mention who is sponsoring an event).
    Edit. most learn to write faster

Didnt a couple of Bowland runners get disqualified in the Lancashire cross country champs 2 or 3 years ago for folding their numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    True maybe, but for a fell race for example, the number of spectators is generally not that large unless its a big race, and as for the race picies the people who look at them are also generally the racers themself?

I can undertstand the sponcer being pissed off though.
    A fell race isn't (usually) under UKA rules so it doesn't have to comply with the pedantic UKA rules like a road race or track and field does. It'd be up to the organiser I guess. I've never entered a fell race and had to agree not to mutilate my number in any way like I have on the roads.

I think most fell race sponsors appreciate the nature of the sport and know that the runners are the people who would shop at their place. I regularly fold a number in a summer fell race so I can pin it to my shorts and run bareback. On that note, I'm pretty sure running bareback isn't allowed under UKA rules...