Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: folding numbers

Fellhound

Re: folding numbers

Organiser at Snowdon a few years back announced "you will be disqualified if you fold your number. Without the Sponsor there would be no race" .....er ...why? Plenty of races are organised without any sponsorship. Some might say they are often the BEST races.

Graeme

I think I've said it elsewhere, but our club chairman goes wild if a number is folded. He's told me and a couple of other club members off for folding our numbers. He did however say you a race "could disqualify" you rather than you "will be disqualified"
    I took it as a friendly warning and unfolded my number.
    I guess you never can tell who will and who won't disqualify a runner.

i also got told off whilst doing a low key road race abroad a few years ago! a joe jogger said i shouldn't be folding the number up, as i was cheating.
    I told him where to shove that suggestion where the sun don't shine..

P.S. I did ask the organiser prior to the race if i was ok to fold the number, i went a little further though as i cut the number out and made little(go faster) holes in the middle then put the number 8 on unside down!
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

I always fold the number.

I hate running with a bit of paper pinned to my front so the smaller the better.

UKA rule 18(1)
    Competitors shall be supplied with and wear during competition a
    distinctive number card corresponding with their number in the programme or
    start list. No competitor shall be allowed to take part in any competition
    without wearing the appropriate number card(s) and such card(s) must be
    worn as issued and not be cut, folded or otherwise concealed or mutilated in
    any way. In races in excess of 10,000m these cards may be manufactured with perforations to assist the circulation of air, but the perforations must not be made on any of the lettering or numerals which appear on them.
    Doh! never thought of that I'll have to start bringing scissors with me
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    i also got told off whilst doing a low key road race abroad a few years ago! a joe jogger said i shouldn't be folding the number up, as i was cheating.
    I told him where to shove that suggestion where the sun don't shine...
    Cheating Why? Does it enhance your performance?
    Hope the silly b@ll@cks did what you suggested, Pengy
    Hills and Guinness!

By the time the sponsor and the race name have been added they are a little on the large side. Perhaps if they were made a little smaller people might not fold them as much??

As somebody said above most numbers are too big to fix on your shorts unfolded and like many others I prefer them there in hot weather so I can take my vest off if I want to and still leave the number visible. It does seem wrong to insist on numbers not being folded during a fell race where if I pin it to my vest it is likely to be covered by a pertex or even a lifa (or both) at various different stages of the race, if its on my shorts its going to be visible at all times except the very rare occasions when overtrousers are worn.
    I appreciate the sponsorship argument but I dont think its very likely that individuals will go to a particular shop because they happen to see that shops name on a race number, as runners we know who the main suppliers are and I do try and support them, especially those who support races - but this is because of the actual suport they give and not because their name is on my number (covered in mud or hidden by pertex or soggy and blown away - but hang on I can probably prevent the last by folding it just a little bit?....... After all the real priority must be for marshalls to be able to confirm race numbers through controls and at the finish) .

yep, Mid Lancs XCountry are pretty strict on 'not folding' and will disqualify.

What I don't quite understand is why they don't make the numbers / pieces of paper a bit smaller.

As a female runner the number needs to be a size to fit underneath your boobs and above the top of your shorts. Believe me (and I am not well endowed), I always need to fold to get a reasonable fit.

I also use 9 safety pins as I can't stand it flapping or catching on my arms.
    I can do down hill

The Fellrunner (Autumn 2008) on page 6 reports the FRA Committee view.

Seems fair enough to me.

I was at Kentmere and the results do show some runners as ???

Seems to me if you dont like the organisers rules -don't do his race, just pontificate on this Forum instead.

Banned

Well said Edam.

Everyone else, worry about something important!