Page 103 of 209 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2088

Thread: Anniversary Waltz

Re: Anniversary Waltz

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Still Amex's bitch eh
    He told me to HTFU the last time i saw him....so NO!

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    Robinson ascent...
    Looking at some photos on the website, it seem like the most popular route up Robinson is to follow the official footpath that joins the ridge about 600m before the summit.
    I've always found this route a real bind (just can't seem to get my head around it) and I'm thinking of getting up onto the ridge ASAP (from memory ther is a path just after the last gate /stile) then following that to the summit.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Is it significantly longer (and slower)?
    Kev, could be mistaken but I think some people actually go even further along the valley than the 'most popular route' and get up to the ridge later on, up a longer pull.

Quote Originally Posted by kevspider View Post
    Robinson ascent...
    Looking at some photos on the website, it seem like the most popular route up Robinson is to follow the official footpath that joins the ridge about 600m before the summit.
    I've always found this route a real bind (just can't seem to get my head around it) and I'm thinking of getting up onto the ridge ASAP (from memory ther is a path just after the last gate /stile) then following that to the summit.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Is it significantly longer (and slower)?
    I went up "early" last year and had to cross some scree and shimey around a little crag

I'll be leaving it a little later this year - there seemed to be a way up that was 100% grass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8011535...7604637599232/

I think this will be my line - I went up around 150m before this line last year and reckon it cost me a minute or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I went up "early" last year and had to cross some scree and shimey around a little crag

I'll be leaving it a little later this year - there seemed to be a way up that was 100% grass.

I think this will be my line - I went up around 150m before this line last year and reckon it cost me a minute or two.
    I didn't go up either of those ways but carried straight on along the bottom then started to climb basically as the path ran out right up the gulley at the natural top there is an opening and it's pretty much a due North bearing to continue over a levelish grassy area then picking up the trod again meeting the rest of the runners coming up the 'conventional' route....I definatley found this way quicker at the time.

Smile Re: Anniversary Waltz

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    definatley found this way quicker at the time.
    sounds like a plan to me eh.
    why do we do?:wink:
    http://williamtitley.org

Just got back from Newlands. the road from Swinside to Grange is closed and all the 7.5 million walkers doing Catbells parked both sides of the road making it impossible to get past............
    Suggest using the buttermere road to get to the carpark
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

I was with you on the craggy bit I think, went up far too early last year.

A group of us came down the grassy route much further up the valley last Friday night under a setting sun (nice gentle route down at the end of the BG as recommended by Wynn, Steve and Yannis). It's definitely an option for the AW. Haven't decided whether to go with the masses or take the grassy route yet, but I won't be climbing as early as last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Just got back from Newlands. the road from Swinside to Grange is closed and all the 7.5 million walkers doing Catbells parked both sides of the road making it impossible to get past............
    Suggest using the buttermere road to get to the carpark
    Why is it closed ~ road works, fallen tree etc ??
    Any idea if it's likely to be open for Saturday Wynn?
    See the light in the night

Can't wait for this race, just been drooling over some piccies from last year, must be turning into a scenery pervert in my old age
    Took my lad up Whernside on Sunday, he was drooling too, teach em scenery perversion at a young age i say
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Why is it closed ~ road works, fallen tree etc ??
    Any idea if it's likely to be open for Saturday Wynn?
    looks like road works ...or it could be to discourage the masses
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills