Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England Comm Games team

FellMonster

Re: England Comm Games team

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Which also explains why the B standard for the Uk is a much stronger time than many other nations. It will also be the same for the World half marathon which is in Birmingham in September. There is obviously very little transport cost but is it in the interest of our athletics federation to send 70 minute male runners to this event?.
    While I appreciate you are illustrating a point Andi, i was never suggesting that the fell equivalent of 70minute half marathon men be sent to the championships. That being said, some of our finest have been (in terms of time %) ,equally off the pace at European and World Trophy competitions as with your half marathon illustration....doesn't mean they didn't deserve their place does it?
    Last edited by FellMonster; 18-02-2009 at 12:30 PM.

"From the trial the first 2 English runners (men, women) will be selected for the up and down comm games team (if these runners also wish to be considered for the uphill team then they will be asked for their perference, as they may not be selected for both)"

Sarah, does this mean England won't be allowing athletes to do both races even if they are good enough and want to?
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Hope Springs Eternal View Post

Sarah, does this mean England won't be allowing athletes to do both races even if they are good enough and want to?
    Danny
    Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post

Those runners wanting to be considered only for the uphill team will not need to do the up and down trial

it will be possible for runners to be selected for both the uphill and up and down team, but that will come down to the selectors discretion
    Reply to your post is in the above I believe?

Basically it looks as if 'yes' you can do both races.

She said it would be possible to do both events. Also I read somewhere that organisers have put the uphill on day one and the up and down at the end of the races to allow for this. Can you see some Commonwealth countries sending up to 12 athletes to do these races? I think not. Many will double up in my opinion. We are lucky in that its in the UK.

And regarding the % time difference its very hard to have this debate comparing a half marathon to a mountain race. As with anything no one is gong to want to see world class athletics diluted by just adding runers i to make up a full team.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

there is nothing to say you can not do both races, but it will come down to the selectors decision regarding the best possible teams for both - so you can ask, but you may or may not get

. As with anything no one is gong to want to see world class athletics diluted by just adding runers i to make up a full team.
    I don't know. I see the point in not sending runners who should already by at or around their peak (late 20's early 30's) but if there's space then entering some promising U23 or so runners to aid development and give them experience it wouldn't be a bad idea. Basically I mean if it the last few spaces are between people who are likely to be a bit off the pace then I think pick youngsters. After all it's a low cost way for UKA to provide a great experience for those runners.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I don't know. I see the point in not sending runners who should already by at or around their peak (late 20's early 30's) but if there's space then entering some promising U23 or so runners to aid development and give them experience it wouldn't be a bad idea. Basically I mean if it the last few spaces are between people who are likely to be a bit off the pace then I think pick youngsters. After all it's a low cost way for UKA to provide a great experience for those runners.
    I completely agree with you IainR about the youngster view. They are the future and need development opps. Sending a few of them in addition to the strong team makes good sense. What they will learn from the trip and the race will set them up for senior level events.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

FellMonster

I completely agree with you IainR about the youngster view. They are the future and need development opps. Sending a few of them in addition to the strong team makes good sense. What they will learn from the trip and the race will set them up for senior level events.
    Errr, thats kinda what I was getting at....with the whole track / B comparison standard....i just didn't bother to explain it very well

FellMonster

And regarding the % time difference its very hard to have this debate comparing a half marathon to a mountain race. As with anything no one is gong to want to see world class athletics diluted by just adding runers i to make up a full team.
    Appreciated we are not comparing like for like here Andi, but some would say that using your criteria UKA should therefore ever only be sending 2/3 British runners to the World XC each year.....because I'd say quite confidently that the mountain running team usually finish higher in terms of last man finishing (and probably team too) in the World Trophy than the XC runners / team do in the World XC!!!