Thread: Which club in sheffield?

Which club in sheffield?

This is my first post on here.
    I have been running regularly and last year started ventured out in the peak district. I am OK but not fast, about 50 minutes for a road 10k. Yet to do any fell races.
    Can anyone recommend a running club in Sheffield or the peak district that would be suitable?
    I have had a look on the websites.
    The Dark Peak Runners dont look like the sort of club with a slow group.
    The others I have looked at are Totely AC or Sheffield City Striders. There is also the Hallamshire Harriers but they seem more athletics and road running. I am looking for training runs midweek. Weekends are difficult for me to get away so races are less important.
    any advice welcome. Once I have narrowed it down I will go and talk to them.

thankyou.

Re: Which club in sheffield?

hi newbie

think about where you live and how quickly you can get to the sessions (where they are) after work/at rush hour.

most clubs will let you turn up to try it out at least once, so you can give each clubs a go (or few goes) and see if its for you.

Totley for me by the way - when I was in your position I rang up a lady from dark peak whose contact number was on the website, i talked to her about turning up to a training evening and said i was worried about being a bit slow and she said its probably best if you don't come (as a disclaimer i now know many more people in dark peak and they are very friendly)

anyhoo - totley were very reassuring and alway run back for slower runners in a group (while still having a number of groups - slow, medium, fast depending on how many show up).

jo

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    This is my first post on here.
    I have been running regularly and last year started ventured out in the peak district. I am OK but not fast, about 50 minutes for a road 10k. Yet to do any fell races.
    Can anyone recommend a running club in Sheffield or the peak district that would be suitable?
    I have had a look on the websites.
    The Dark Peak Runners dont look like the sort of club with a slow group.
    The others I have looked at are Totely AC or Sheffield City Striders. There is also the Hallamshire Harriers but they seem more athletics and road running. I am looking for training runs midweek. Weekends are difficult for me to get away so races are less important.
    any advice welcome. Once I have narrowed it down I will go and talk to them.

thankyou.
    Hi newbie

I think all clubs are the same, they have fast runners and slow. If you come out on a hill run you will be looked after.

As ratfink saud, which is the club that is most convienient. We meet on Wednesday either at the Sportsman or with the Warts at an 'away' venue.

We also run a Monday session. drop me a pm if you'd like.

Ian

Thanks for the replies.

I live at Bradway and work by the Northern General Hospital so it would really depend on leaving work promptly and the damn traffic! Not sure I would make it to totley unless I was on an early.

Ian, there is a typical run from the sportsman map on your website. How long do you do it in? I know this is like asking how long is a bit of string but approximatly how long is your average sportman evening run? Do you have slow groups and fast groups?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I live at Bradway and work by the Northern General Hospital so it would really depend on leaving work promptly and the damn traffic! Not sure I would make it to totley unless I was on an early.

Ian, there is a typical run from the sportsman map on your website. How long do you do it in? I know this is like asking how long is a bit of string but approximatly how long is your average sportman evening run? Do you have slow groups and fast groups?

thanks
    There tends to a double split, half go out on the roads the other half on the fell. these both split sometimes twice in to shorter runs. Long road I think tends to be 1-1.5 hours with distance tending to be 6-10 miles. PM Darth of the Dark Side, he usually runs with the roadies. Similar with the fell group, it has been known to be out 2 hours+ but usually 1.5 hours is max with the pub beckoning.

Distance tends to vary according to height but 6-9 miles a safe bet. with regular regroups. Just make it known you are new and ask if some one can point out a slower runner and stick with them. you'll be looked after as I'm sure you would at Totley.

Oh yes don't stick with the faster runners the first time out as the split may happen behind you.

hmmmmm Bradwell icecream yum yum

Thankyou for the replies. I'm going to see what my shift pattern is like next month and see if I can try a run at Totley AC. Thanks for the information Ian but I think thats beyond me at present. Maybe once I have got a spring and summer of fell running under my belt.....

totley also do a sunday morning run - 9:30 in the peak

1st sunday of month - baslow
    2nd - hathersage
    3rd - Eyam
    4th - Longshaw

the description of the meeting locations is on the website - i'll post a link when i'm not meant to be leaving the house for work!

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    totley also do a sunday morning run - 9:30 in the peak
    That's an excellent idea especialy in Winter when getting out on the fells during the week is more difficult especially if you don't like headtorch runs!