Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: inov-8 x-talons

Re: inov-8 x-talons

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Bought a pair of 212s after xmas to see how they compared to a Walsh. I suspected from the outset that they lacked grip, and after 4 months of use they've got to the point where i just can't push them to the limit of their grip any longer; that is to say that the limit of their grip is below the limit of my running. It took my last Walshes about a year to get to this point. They just don't seem to bite into the ground like Walshes. Coming down the final nasty bit to the fell gate at BOFRA Sedbergh Gala yesterday, i was striking my foot and they were really fighting for a purchase, i had to back off and nearly lost a place. Without sounding too haughty, i think that anyone who finds 212s to have better grip than PBs hasn't pushed either shoe to its limit.

I noted in theNoor's Fellrunner review of them that he had trouble getting the laces tight and i have the same problem. It's down at the front where they just seem to go loose and allow the foot to come forward and the toes to bounce off the ends during descents. I should imagine a fancy lacing system would counter this but there is no such problem with Walshes.

I think my next Inov8 shoe will be the Mudclaw 272, meanwhile i'm going back to my old PB racers.
    Interesting ive had 3 pairs of Xtalon 212s..The first 2 pairs the uppers went very quickly and the grip, But my 3rd pair lasted over a year and i find that when coming down a steep grassy slope if i heel strike coming down they grip as well as the 272s..In comparison to the 272 Mudclaws Ive had for nearly a year and the grips going unfortunately they seem very wide in the forefoot and im reluctant to buy another pair so i suspect my next shoes will be back to the Xtalons which are comfier and tighter fitting more like walsh.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    Interesting ive had 3 pairs of Xtalon 212s..The first 2 pairs the uppers went very quickly and the grip, But my 3rd pair lasted over a year and i find that when coming down a steep grassy slope if i heel strike coming down they grip as well as the 272s..In comparison to the 272 Mudclaws Ive had for nearly a year and the grips going unfortunately they seem very wide in the forefoot and im reluctant to buy another pair so i suspect my next shoes will be back to the Xtalons which are comfier and tighter fitting more like walsh.
    My feet are a bit narrow for 212s, i find the toebox a bit spacious and they seem to look a bit like clown shoes on me! I agree with you about the Talons needing a mudclaw sole option though.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Yeah I reckon I'm going back to the Talons as well, got a year out of mine, and not too bothered by the price. Last time out in 272s I got 2 huge blisters and chronic tendon pain under the heel. I think the reasons behind this were because it was during that really dry period on a relatively compact and hard ground around here, and the fact it was 20 miles. Anyways, tried and tested with the 212's so will be buying them next I think.

From here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=41236

"Inov-8 "X-Talon" 212/190 (in 2012 they'll make wider ergo ones)"

Is this true? Are they going to do a wider fitting x-talon?

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Yeah I reckon I'm going back to the Talons as well, got a year out of mine, and not too bothered by the price. Last time out in 272s I got 2 huge blisters and chronic tendon pain under the heel. I think the reasons behind this were because it was during that really dry period on a relatively compact and hard ground around here, and the fact it was 20 miles. Anyways, tried and tested with the 212's so will be buying them next I think.
    Taken nearly a year, but just ordered a new pair of 212's as the 272's nailed me again with blisters @ Pendle race this weekend.

The insole actually looks like a cheese grater on inspection...not good!

Will be using MT110s for anything other than out and out fell though.

i use my talons when its firmer under foot and my mudclaws when softer or steep / tricky deccents