Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Today's illness

Re: Today's illness

It's incredibly cheap to do a plasma B12 check, and you get the results back very quickly too. Once a patient is aware of their levels and how they are affected by high/low rtesults a quick phone call to the GP's can allow them to determine changes to diet/GP's visit.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme78 View Post
    It's incredibly cheap to do a plasma B12 check, and you get the results back very quickly too. Once a patient is aware of their levels and how they are affected by high/low rtesults a quick phone call to the GP's can allow them to determine changes to diet/GP's visit.
    ...yep, cheap, but once you are on injections and the low haemoglobin and/or big cells have normalized - no need for repeated B12 tests as they will invariably be high.

Ahh, a bout of malaria:thunbdown:. Now I have to sit and look at the beautiful weather outside, imagining how gorgeous the moors are looking and still convince myself NOT to run the Wardle Skyline as I'd been planning for tomorrow. Someone had better lock the doors! This is not amusing and I wouldn't mind but it's seven months since I left a malarious area.:angry:

Sorry to hear that Latege, hope you get well soon.

My Crohn's has reared it's ugly head again sadly and it looks like I'm going to have to have some sort of operation :thunbdown: Latest scan showed all sorts of problems so not looking forward to that. Fingers crossed it's not too bad

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    Ahh, a bout of malaria:thunbdown:. Now I have to sit and look at the beautiful weather outside, imagining how gorgeous the moors are looking and still convince myself NOT to run the Wardle Skyline as I'd been planning for tomorrow. Someone had better lock the doors! This is not amusing and I wouldn't mind but it's seven months since I left a malarious area.:angry:
    Seven months! That is a long time to be brewing malaria, but it does happen.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Well, not quite malaria (get well soon Latege), but a heavy cold that's begining to develop into flu-like symptoms. Bloody typical - got a free pass out this afternoon as the missus is off into Manchester to see Ghost, a beautiful day for a run over Pendle - which I'd been looking forward to all week - and I can barely walk the dog. Bah!
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 09-04-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Too self-centred
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Seven months! That is a long time to be brewing malaria, but it does happen.
    Yes, always knew it was possible in theory, now I now in reality. Should have bashed it on the head three weeks ago when I had very mild symptoms, but they were so mild I wasn't convinced. That notwithstanding, it's still a mild bout and I take the last dose of treatmnet tonight so the worst is past and hopefully I'll be able to risk a gentle jog on Mon. or Tues.

Hope flu is equally short-lived Southernsoftie.

Reply to Rob:

My Crohn's has reared it's ugly head again sadly and it looks like I'm going to have to have some sort of operation :thunbdown: Latest scan showed all sorts of problems so not looking forward to that. Fingers crossed it's not too bad
    Ugh. Have you had any ops before? I had one about 5 years ago, (ileal re-section)and the relief was IMMEDIATE - even though I was in a morphine fog, it was just bliss (except when I coughed). So glad I had it done.

They didn't let me keep the bits though, and looked at me very strangely when I asked.
    Last edited by yomper; 10-04-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: edited cos it wasn't clear who I was replying to

Haven't had any ops yet yomper, they're going to look at the scans and see what might be necessary. Mine is spread all over so it's not as simple as just removing it all. Fingers crossed they get to the bottom of it.

Quote Originally Posted by yomper View Post
    Reply to Rob: They didn't let me keep the bits though, and looked at me very strangely when I asked.
    What did you want them for - to feed to your dog, perhaps?
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.