Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Youth Hostel Prices

Re: Youth Hostel Prices

on the bright side we've booked whole hostels for club weekends with our club membership in the past out of peak season!

I agree with comments , a B&B is only a bit dearer and worth it in my opinion for extra comfort plus you meet interesting people with local knowledge.
    YHA's , here's an idea: sell plasters, spenco, compeed etc. Have rooms where dogs are allowed. Have transparent pricing policy.
    It can be so much better than it is.
    Generally going nowhere fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    and another thing: whoever at the YHA decided that they should start renting the whole place out to conferences and mass bookings etc?

Called the Borrowdale one in November for a random weekend in March and couldn't get in cos they'd sold the whole place out to some bloody club or other.
    YHA have had a 'Rent-a-Hostel' scheme for some years now, usually over the 'quiet' periods and less popular destinations, so surprised Borrowdale is included in the scheme, although disappointed that Wooler is as was hoping to stay there on way back from a few days in Scotland in mid/late March.
    Ah well I've got a B&B a few miles further south for £22 instead - and no snorers around

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    That is exactly why I use them in stead of a b&b... Especially in winter or generally bad weather, when (wild) camping is not an option..
    'Tis if you have a campervan...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post

I have and i do
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Not all of us are so lucky...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

lunesdale

Re: Youth Hostel Price

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    One night?

That'll be £22 sir.

That will include breakfast then.

No sir, thats an extra £4.00 (something)

Then i had to make my own bed (don't even do that the house)and share a dorm with 7 other blokes, most of which had been to the pub all night!

Is this a bit expensive or am living in the past
    Couldnt agree more,They use to be cheap and i use to be a member but after getting bitten by Bed Bugs im Ambleside,getting shoved in a damp overflow cottage in Wales ,getting turned away at Ingleton because they were full[fair enough,but wouldnt even let me pay to have a shower],and finally after sweating all day in a heatwave carrying 28 ibs round part of the Bob Graham went to Derwent Water to share with a load of snoring Germans with the heating flat out, ive told them to shove it ,and its far too expensive for what you get now.No longer is it cheap alternative accomodation.Only good thing is you can cook an evening meal if your a bit skint.
    Ive stayed in a few Hostels in Italy and they are like 5 star accomodation to ours now and are a lot cheaper,mostly with a free breakfast.Shame ive got to slag em off,but its true.
    p.s i have spent some good nights in them ,but a while ago.One night in particular up at Glenridding where 2 sisters from Liverpool were fantastic,great craic and really good home made grub,and thats when it was cheap,sadly the lasses went home and "cheap went with em".

I agree that it is expensive but what you have to remember its a business and you have to cover your costs at a minimum. With the price of services and business rates and tax etc I think puts it into perspective.

True BUT some YH's are closing down due to lack of custom. The reason I don't use 'em is purely down to price and it seems I am not alone. If you have a business and you are losing customers due to the price of the service you are supplying then there's summat wrong. Given the present economic downturn and the numbers of people opting to stay at home this year rather than travel abroad then the YHA could have a bumper year IF they make some concession on their pricing policy. Maybe.

22 English nuggets seems a little steep, paying 28 aussie dollars at the moment including breakfast, New Zealand was even cheaper.
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t: