Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weighty Issue

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Weighty Issue

Since last year a jaw operation has reduced the amount of snacking I was doing at the same time that I was increasing my running (until my knees gave in that is). The weight dropped off, and I'm looking to put it back on, plus some.

I was 12, dropped to 11.5, and now want to get back to 12.5st. Trouble is it just won't go on!!

Since November I've only run about 30mi, spread over 5 weeks since Jan as I try to coax my fragile knees into running again. I've not picked up the slack in any other form of CV work, and the only other work I've been doing has been weights 3-5 times a week for the last month or so, with some plyometric stuff thrown in.

Now, yesterday, I calculated I had consumed 49.5pts Friday, and 50pts Saturday on the Weightwatchers points system. I have no idea what this is in calories, but it sounds like a lot. And this is fairly typical of my eating.

Does anyone know how to work out calories from WW points? And assuming it is a lot, anyone got any suggestions as to why I can't keep it on?

I've heard that natural fidgeters burn a lot of calories through their nervous energy. Is this true? I tap and fidget all day long. Very annoying to the better half. How much would this burn?

Cheers in advance of your help...and no doubt some expressions of warped humour too!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Weighty Issue

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Since last year a jaw operation has reduced the amount of snacking I was doing at the same time that I was increasing my running (until my knees gave in that is). The weight dropped off, and I'm looking to put it back on, plus some.

I was 12, dropped to 11.5, and now want to get back to 12.5st. Trouble is it just won't go on!!

Since November I've only run about 30mi, spread over 5 weeks since Jan as I try to coax my fragile knees into running again. I've not picked up the slack in any other form of CV work, and the only other work I've been doing has been weights 3-5 times a week for the last month or so, with some plyometric stuff thrown in.

Now, yesterday, I calculated I had consumed 49.5pts Friday, and 50pts Saturday on the Weightwatchers points system. I have no idea what this is in calories, but it sounds like a lot. And this is fairly typical of my eating.

Does anyone know how to work out calories from WW points? And assuming it is a lot, anyone got any suggestions as to why I can't keep it on?

I've heard that natural fidgeters burn a lot of calories through their nervous energy. Is this true? I tap and fidget all day long. Very annoying to the better half. How much would this burn?

Cheers in advance of your help...and no doubt some expressions of warped humour too!!

I know how to work out the calories and saturate fats into points, what is it your after knowing?
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 23-02-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    I know how to work out the calories and saturate fats into points, what is it your after knowing?
    How to turn points into calories (I don't know the sat. fats value). And lead into gold...or green.

Yes fidgeters lose weight faster, so i am told! so why i am not as skinny as a rake i shall never know...

1 point is around 50 calories, but really it depends on the fat content, if you are eating calories with under 5.0fats then its 1 point, but if your eating loads of crap, could work out more.

For instance, if you ate a bar of chocolate say Cadburys Boost. Its approx 300 calories for one bar of about 60g, that is 8 points, which if you was dieting an average of 20 points for a woman, then its really crap to eat, so what are you actually eating to put weight on?

[QUOTE=NirvanaBliss;201154]Yes fidgeters lose weight faster, so i am told! so why i am not as skinny as a rake i shall never know...
    QUOTE]

My tip for staying slim.

Walk fast -EVERYWHERE!

My nick-name at work is now speedy.

Al, this thread is about southern wanting to put weight on, i am losing weight just fine thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    Al, this thread is about southern wanting to put weight on, i am losing weight just fine thanks!
    I know.

Okay ...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2302.asp...CategoryID=165

Read that, and if you do want to add weight do it healthy, otherwise your put weight on places you really don't want it to go on!

Don't worry, it's all complex carbs, wholegrains, wholewheat, veggies, and white meats. And beer. And butterscotch Angel Delight. And MaccyD's...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post

This doesn't sound right to me. So you want to put on a stone so you can pile more weight onto your sore knee/s?

Is that what you're telling us?