Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: The 100 push up challenge

Master

Re: The 100 push up challenge

Have done 40 or more push ups - up to 46 - six times now. Certainly the first 20 feel so easy, a marked contrast to when I started when 10 was a real effort. It has certainly helped on scrambly descents where upper body strength is essential to prevent over rapid progress. With respect to leg strength I have been timing the ascent of Wansfell Pike - from when the steps begin to the top - and have improved from 20 minutes to 17 - it is a shame I live in Suffolk!

Been working on press ups for 3 weeks. I could only manage 6 when I started...now up to 3 x 20 and getting stronger. Using winter to work on core strength but now a bad neck from 60 sit ups a day. Looking for alternatives if anyone has any suggestions.

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

sounds like your doing the sit ups by pulling on the back of your head,
    try doing the sit ups with your arms folded across your chest or rested upon your shoudlers

Cheers Dylan I'll give it a go

You need to avoid just focussing on sit-ups. It's a sure-fire way to do your back in, by causing a muscle imbalance around the core, which causes the spine to be pulled in just one direction. I did it, and ended up with back problems that took another 18 months of intense activity with a Swiss ball to sort out!

As my physio at the time said, you need to look at core exercises like building scaffolding around your spine. The best single core exercise is the plank, but a simple regime of plank, side planks, properly done sit ups (that is no kneck pull and a straight back), knee rolls to mobilise hips and back raises does the job pretty well. Instead of trying to do a few hundred sit-ups every day, I now do 20 mins of these exercises on a Swiss ball, 3 times a week (in front of the TV with a beer!). My core is much stronger and I rarely get back problems these days.

Thanks for advice. My workout is now a mix as advised and the new technique for sit ups seems to be effective. My wife has started doing the same exercises so should both benefit from the advice. In fitness and on the eye :closed:

I dropped off the 100 challenge but regularly do pyramid type workouts with pushups and the plank is a staple to the core conditioning! Plank and squeeeze those stomach muscles hard! 3 x 30 seconds burns!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Markollyh View Post
    Thanks for advice. My workout is now a mix as advised and the new technique for sit ups seems to be effective. My wife has started doing the same exercises so should both benefit from the advice. In fitness and on the eye :closed:
    Trying to get my Mrs to do the same - and for the same reason!!

Master
    I now do 2 to 4 strength and conditioning sessions a week, each lasting an hour or so - push ups are included and spread throughout the session in lots of 20 - currently 7 different types of push up - hands wide/hands together/feet on chair and so on - so 140 per session in total - very different from 2012.