Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cairning of the BG route

Cairning of the BG route

I was running around the Wasdale section of the BG route recently and noticed with sadness how many cairns had appeared on the 'fell runners' route up and off Yewbarrrow. There were noticeably large cairns on the route ascending Yewbarrow from the NT carpark and then also many cairns across the side of Yewbarrow to drop people into Dore Head. To me, cairning like this detracts from the spirit of the challenge. I seem to remember about 4 years ago, someone had even gone as far as marking the route up Yewbarrow with garden canes and reflective strips! Anyone got any thoughts on whether I should have or have not knocked them all down?

Re: Cairning of the BG route

I can live with the pesky things [I] guess although it wouldn't particularly bother me if they were all knocked down. Having said that I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been glad to see the odd one in bad weather.
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Saw some posts with reflective strips marking the route through the heather from Skiddaw to Great Calva. To my mind it's the equivalent of bolting a trad rock climb, ie unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    I can live with the pesky things [I] guess although it wouldn't particularly bother me if they were all knocked down. Having said that I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been glad to see the odd one in bad weather.
    This was discussed on another thread but knock em down.

As to seeing one in bad weather, did it have a signpost on it saying which way to go or perhaps you are on a 'certain' path, if not they don't really tell you anything but do add to erosion.

Only a comment....

Bobert

Quote Originally Posted by LMF View Post
    Saw some posts with reflective strips marking the route through the heather from Skiddaw to Great Calva. To my mind it's the equivalent of bolting a trad rock climb, ie unacceptable.
    I might be corrected but those posts with marker tape have been there sometime. There was a small cairn marking the split in the path before Hare Crag early last spring but then someone knocked it over by july. There are small cairns at various points on the entire route, Rossett Pike to Bowfell, off Yewbarrow. I even heard that someone had at one time daubed powder paint on the route up Broadstand.

When i reccied the round i found enough natural features to mark the way, that i found the cairns were pretty useless. To be fair the BG route is like a scalectrix track. Just set the runner in the slot and off you go. It's a well worn path.

A bit like a polished trad rock route, holds covered in magnesium carbonate, cracks all scarred from the gear placements.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    This was discussed on another thread but knock em down.

As to seeing one in bad weather, did it have a signpost on it saying which way to go or perhaps you are on a 'certain' path, if not they don't really tell you anything but do add to erosion.

Only a comment....
    Totally agree, but I never did find out who put the signpost on it saying "This way to the Golden Rule,"
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

oh well - after reading this i feel better for knocking them down. I felt a bit like a kid knocking someone's sand castle over though.!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witless View Post
    I was running around the Wasdale section of the BG route recently and noticed with sadness how many cairns had appeared on the 'fell runners' route up and off Yewbarrrow. There were noticeably large cairns on the route ascending Yewbarrow from the NT carpark and then also many cairns across the side of Yewbarrow to drop people into Dore Head. To me, cairning like this detracts from the spirit of the challenge. I seem to remember about 4 years ago, someone had even gone as far as marking the route up Yewbarrow with garden canes and reflective strips! Anyone got any thoughts on whether I should have or have not knocked them all down?
    Knock them down and any others you find in any wild places, with the exception of the few long standing well crafted summit cairns.

As to this http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co....st_firm_chief/ please NO
    The older I get the Faster I was

Bobert

Quote Originally Posted by Witless View Post
    oh well - after reading this i feel better for knocking them down. I felt a bit like a kid knocking someone's sand castle over though.!
    I am curious to know who did bother to build them, and who put the tape on the posts to calva. Pity they didn't build a bridge over the Caldew as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    I am curious to know who did bother to build them, and who put the tape on the posts to calva. Pity they didn't build a bridge over the Caldew as well.
    Flipping hell don't encourage them
    Bill