Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lakes 24 hour record

Re: Lakes 24 hour record

Thanks for the encouragement.

We saw you Donkarlo (how did you get on?) and at the time we could not work out what you were doing.

I am now full of cold and have nearly lost my voice. So with the cold and the weather I had no chance. But Sunday and Monday were great days. If I had known maybe I should have delayed it for 24 hours (and the cold would have been a bit better). The forecast for the Saturday was not great but worse than I expected and it was meant to clear in the afternoon but did not. But sunday was definitely forecast to be better. It is hard to delay these things when it is all organised but maybe I should have. Something for me to think about for next time.

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your attempt and pulling out, the right decision, the hills will still be there when you have a go next time - let me know when, and I'll try to give you a hand.

If you fancy a run this Saturday I am having a go at my Paddy !

Tom

Steve
    Mark Hartell here - just wanted to say a couple of things. Firstly - really bad luck, from what I hear you were moving over the ground at the required speed for the first couple of sections despite the weather and the remnants of your cold so you really should take confidence from that.

Secondly, I know the frustration of having committed everything for months to the training and lined up all the logistics only to be thwarted by the vagaries of our weather. If you are like me you may feel that its too much to ask everyone to line up to help again - not true! - I think everyone gets genuinely enthused about these things and I, for sure, am delighted you think it important enough to try.

Both McDermott and I both feel that the best vindication of our efforts is that other people think it worth "having a go".

So - rest up, pick over any little lessons you may have learnt and have another go. Just one thought - on my successful attempt I had a "pacer manager" - sounds a bit over the top but it meant that I really didn't have to worry about any of the support logistics and deal with pacers when they turn up at 11pm the night before wanting to work out how to get back to their car etc. It's not a job that pays well but it's worth asking someone if you didn't already.

Good luck next time!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevebirkinshaw View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement.

We saw you Donkarlo (how did you get on?) and at the time we could not work out what you were doing.

I am now full of cold and have nearly lost my voice. So with the cold and the weather I had no chance. But Sunday and Monday were great days. If I had known maybe I should have delayed it for 24 hours (and the cold would have been a bit better). The forecast for the Saturday was not great but worse than I expected and it was meant to clear in the afternoon but did not. But sunday was definitely forecast to be better. It is hard to delay these things when it is all organised but maybe I should have. Something for me to think about for next time.
    Hi Steve

All the organising in the world can't sort out the weather it's just another hurdle put in our way to make the day or subsequent day a better one. I pulled out of my long one on Sunday but i think your weather sounded much worse. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go.

Keep it up and good luck for the next attempt

Hi Steve,

Ed got round with seven mins to spare, sounds like he slowed quite a lot from Sty Head, I headed down to Patterdale and back to my car after seeing you. ANd was very glad to be out of the worst of that weather.