Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 X 3 Peaks

Re: 3 X 3 Peaks

Thanks again guys.

Yea I've found out someone has done it before. D. Beresford. did it in 1978, and wait for it.....in 13 hours 16 minutes!!! (Or so I'm told, I don't think it was published on the 1st of April ). Totally amazing. I'll be lucky to get around in 24 hours.

Fellhound

Well, yes if it was Dennis Beresford it would be a good time. I think he also set records for the Dales Way and the Pendle Way.

To do it in under 24 would be a great achievement anyway. I'll be passing through the 3PX area on Friday so will keep an eye open!

Fellhound

PS This did cross my mind (very briefly!) in 1996 when training for the Manx MM but I eventually settled for a double Tour of Pendle - a much easier proposition.

Good luck Ben, It's going to be a hot one I think.

Hi guys,

Well, I didn't quite make it around 3 times, I was going well after 2 laps in 11 and quarter hours, and had set off on the third when I had to make the tough decision to call it a day (carrying on throughout the night wasn't really an option with no support and a dodgy head torch)...I should have been the early bird!
    I'm suprisingly not dissapointed, I'm actually proud that I didn't let my ego get in the way and made right decision, "long term success is about making the right decisions at the right time."
    Thanks for the encouragment guys. I do recommend this challenge for anyone who is well prepared enough, 24 hours is definitely
    do-able....although I think I'll let my toenails grow back first!

Cheers
    Ben
    p.s. Will put a few pictures from yesterday on my website when it's finished.

Fellhound

Thumbs up Re: 3 X 3 Peaks

Hard luck Ben, but twice is still pretty tough!

A few of us Bowland bats have talked about doing a night Three Peaks as a bat run so if you are having another go and want some company on the night section give us a shout - it would make it easier with a group of seasoned 'night crawlers' for company!

You can contact us via a link on the Bat Runs page of the Bowland Fellrunners website ( http://www.bowlandfellrunners.org.uk/)

unlucky mate well tried anyway and you lived to try again !

Thanks chaps,

THIS IS NOT OVER!!

I'm going to be on an expedition in Alaska for a month soon, but as soon I'm back and recovered I'm going to have my revenge! watch this space

Hard luck, two laps in just over 11 hours is a result in my book.

Here is Dennis Beresford's account of his triple Three Peaks run from volume 41 of The Dalesman. He was a great runner over that kind of distance. His Dales Way record, set in 1983, was 13:46 (SMOTS, p121).
    Attached Images Attached Images