Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing flats, just for elite ?

Racing flats, just for elite ?

usually i use my high mileage cushion trainers for all road stuff incl races, but, I went running in a pair of low cushion shoes usually reserved for the gym ( ie don't look like they belong to a tramp or runner ! ) when my other two pairs were wet and muddy and 'felt' a distinct bit more nippy and purposeful.

I'm only around 40 mins for 10k and at 12.5 stone, 5ft9 with 8% fat not that light on my feet and not likely to get more than a few pounds lighter

previously i'd have always thought racing flats were for fast, lightweight runners...is this a an ignorant misconception on my part ?

cos i'm thinking of getting some for racing now, good idea or not ?

Thanks

Re: Racing flats, just for eli

all depends on running style etc. But Iam 11'12' and I use Saucony Grid Fastwitch (210g) for road races and did a half marathon in em. It definitely helps losing a couple of hundred grams on each foot but you have to weigh that up with the greater injury risk. if you are going to use them use them in training first for track or interval sessions to see how you get on.

If you don't fancy outright racing flats, try some lightweight road shoes instead, something like Asics DS trainer, Nike Zoom Elite.

You're quicker than me and a bit heavier. I've got a pair of Fastwitch too, gives a nice boost on race day. They were just fine on a Half. I tend to save them for the boost - I was talking to my Pose running mate yesterday - he trains in shoes weighing 140g!

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    I've got a pair of Fastwitch too, gives a nice boost on race day. They were just fine on a Half.
    I would think Fastwitch would be quick on the Half Tour of Pendle.

just thought i'd round off my experience

bought some Nike Skylon

did a 10k in 39.06 a pb

did a 1/2 mararthon in 1.26...massive pb

feet suffered and calves did...but the pain was worth it.

thanks for the advice

I'm 6'2", 12 1/2 to 13 stone and do all my running in racers.

I'm 6'2" / 75kg and i do all my road training in racing flats.

Currently using Saucony Grid A2, F-Lite 230, Nike Mayfly.

Yes your calves do hurt at first (it's not the lack of padding; the shift in style to forefoot running utilises the calf muscles more) but it soon settles down. the best thing about them is that you can throw them away when they actually fall apart and not before (can you tell i was born in yorkshire?!)

Just did Ribble Valley 10k in the Inov-8; 39:23 with a stinking cold!

It certainly does depend on your technique if you can get that evaluated and your gait you should know if you could use them. As an example at my very heaviest 18st 2lb and only 5ft 10in i was running in racing flats for training and everything because my gait and running style allowed me too.

Quote Originally Posted by tri-mind View Post
    It certainly does depend on your technique if you can get that evaluated and your gait you should know if you could use them. As an example at my very heaviest 18st 2lb and only 5ft 10in i was running in racing flats for training and everything because my gait and running style allowed me too.
    There is a growing body of opinion (to which i tentatively subscribe) that suggests not only can we all use racing flats but that we would run faster and suffer less injury if we did so.

The way in which we differ is how careful we need to be in making the change to flats. A light, neutral, forefoot runner will adapt very easily, a heavy heelstriker will require more time and commitment.

I've recently been shifting from years of using Nike Pegasus (neutral/cushioned) to racing flats. It's taken 3-4 months but i now run up to 40 miles a week in flats. As a result i chopped 3 mins off my 10k PB today with a stinking cold (and tbh i'm not much of a road runner; i'm only doing the road mileage at present 'cos the short daylight is keeping me off the fells mid-week)

I'm convinced that gait analysis is a complete waste of time and money. All it will tell you is how your running style has adapted to the shoes that you already use. I appreciate many will disagree, and that's their prerogative. I would say; don't knock it if you havent tried it. Get some cheap racing flats (Nike Mayfly are about £25) and give it a go. Keep it short at first, concentrate on getting up on your toes and allowing your foot to flex properly (think 'prancing'!). Keep an open mind and see how it goes