Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doms :(

Doms :(

Hey guys

Well, its been a damn busy couple of weeks since I first started looking into Fell running and I have finally started running albeit on the roads / XC.

Anyhow, for the first time since Oct I played 5-a-side footy for the company and I grafted my ar$e off I am rather fit from cycling, but as everyone knows its a different sport and something especially like 5-a-side there is no place to hide. When I finished I felt good, that was Monday.

Today my hamstrings still feel tight and this is down to DOMS? So, should I try and go for a light run tonight or wait until the pain (more of a discomfort) has gone fully?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Doms :(

Not necessarily the right thing to do, but I'd go for a light run - short & slow (less than 3mi) - to warm/loosen them up, and then give them a good stretch (at least 30 secs each muscle). And if you didn't, I would have stretched before & after the game, too.

I should qualify this by saying I've hardly run since November because of injury. You might like to avoid the advice of someone who can't take care of themselves!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Not necessarily the right thing to do, but I'd go for a light run - short & slow (less than 3mi) - to warm/loosen them up, and then give them a good stretch (at least 30 secs each muscle). And if you didn't, I would have stretched before & after the game, too.

I should qualify this by saying I've hardly run since November because of injury. You might like to avoid the advice of someone who can't take care of themselves!!
    Hehe

I did a short warm up as we were late getting there and no warm down, so thats prob not helped it.

I would go out on my bike if I jsut wanted to try and make that soreness go away, the zero impact is much better for getting the blood moving around your legs and flushing the crap out. Doesn't matter how fit you are, this is just something that goes with doing stuff you've not done in ages!

Super Moderator

My sympathy is with you Martin as I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. I was with some old customer friends in Portugal and played a competitive indoor game of 5-a-side on a Monday night and was struggling to walk the next day A gentle 20min jog or even a mile or two walk might help
    Poacher turned game-keeper

the skins running shorts/tights are supposed to prevent doms
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    the skins running shorts/tights are supposed to prevent doms
    Not running works too. I've had very few problems with Doms since I've not been running.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    My sympathy is with you Martin as I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. I was with some old customer friends in Portugal and played a competitive indoor game of 5-a-side on a Monday night and was struggling to walk the next day A gentle 20min jog or even a mile or two walk might help
    Well its three days now since I played and slowly getting better. I get more pain when I first start walking from sitting down, when I have "warmed" up its not too bad.

Ill try a small jog tonight see if that helps.

Lola

As for Nirvana and her shins, one of the best treatments for this is a series of swim sessions - the water is cooling, there is very little stress but lots of mobility. Absolute certainty to help or I'll refund your pool entry fee myself next time I see you - can't say fairer can I?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinGT View Post
    Well its three days now since I played and slowly getting better. I get more pain when I first start walking from sitting down, when I have "warmed" up its not too bad.

Ill try a small jog tonight see if that helps.
    The morning after my Bg my legs felt tired but otherwise fine. the day after more stiffness and aches. the day after wasvery painful but I had a physio booked for a massage, I drank a litre of water during the pummeling, you could feel the poison moving up the leg as he got his elbow/thumb stuck in very wierd, I had a stonking head ache in the pm but the legs were amazing other than being a little tired.