Thread: I went to see a Podiatrist....

I went to see a Podiatrist....

Because since beginning to run, i have twisted my ankle and now have shin splints; the pain from the shins are unbearable.

My doctor referred me to see a Podiatrist, who checked my knees, shins and feet, i have been told not to run for another 3 weeks, has i have rested for 3 weeks with no training at all, and i am sick of my shins hurting.

I forgot to ask him if it would be okay to do some exercises on a rowing machine.

Anyone got any ideas if it would be fine to do so, or shall i do no exercise for the next 3 weeks?

I am going back in see the podiatrist in 3 weeks time.

Thanks x

Re: I went to see a Podiatrist

The rowing should mainly do the quads (and upper body) and is non impact but give your podiatrist a ring just to check.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    The rowing should mainly do the quads (and upper body) and is non impact but give your podiatrist a ring just to check.
    Mmm. I'd be wary. Though the muscles used are in the upper part of the leg, you are pushing off the plate on your toes, which means energy is being pushed through the leg from the quads/glutes to your toe. This would mean some stress - I'd have thought - travelling through the shin.

Certainly agree you should get an expert to give it the all clear, rather than relying on us lot!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Mmm. I'd be wary. Though the muscles used are in the upper part of the leg, you are pushing off the plate on your toes, which means energy is being pushed through the leg from the quads/glutes to your toe. This would mean some stress - I'd have thought - travelling through the shin.

Certainly agree you should get an expert to give it the all clear, rather than relying on us lot!
    Ok Ady & SS, thank you i shall give him a call tomorrow xx

Lola

If you really want to keep as much fitness as possible for your return to running with absolutely no fear of worsening the shins then some front crawl swim sessions with a pull buoy are the way to go. It is quite annoying to tumble turn with a 'buoy as they tend to move around so don't, that way there is even less chance of upsetting your shins. Do efforts, sprints, long sessions in the pool just as you would running - hills may be tricky tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    If you really want to keep as much fitness as possible for your return to running with absolutely no fear of worsening the shins then some front crawl swim sessions with a pull buoy are the way to go. It is quite annoying to tumble turn with a 'buoy as they tend to move around so don't, that way there is even less chance of upsetting your shins. Do efforts, sprints, long sessions in the pool just as you would running - hills may be tricky tho.
    Thanks Lola, sounds a good idea that, have to see when the pool is empty, or not full of kids.

Nice to see you back, love your army photo.

bad news NB, I don't know much about shin splints, but I hope you get sorted soon. Not nice to be debilitated so soon into starting your running up

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    bad news NB, I don't know much about shin splints, but I hope you get sorted soon. Not nice to be debilitated so soon into starting your running up
    Thanks OHW, i am hoping i can start running in 3 weeks, did a small walk today from work to college then to home, did the stretch exercises when i came in.

What have you been upto lately? any races coming up?

There are loads of great podiatrists out there but also a lot who'll go through the motions and just end up selling you an expensive pair of orthotics that won't fit in your fell shoes anyway.... so be careful.

Also, according to a very good and experienced sports physio friend of mine, almost all running injuries relating to the lower limbs such as plantar faciitis, knee problems and shin splints can usually be traced to a weakness in the glutes and/or core muscles. He's based in Stockport and really knows his stuff. His name is Tim Deykin at www.sport-med.co.uk . He's a great believer in the value of preventative all-overs (a bit like an MOT) for folk starting out with new activities or changing training and is vehement that most new runners can protect themselves from injuries like yours with a bit of strengthening work before starting to hit the running. I'd give him a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    There are loads of great podiatrists out there but also a lot who'll go through the motions and just end up selling you an expensive pair of orthotics that won't fit in your fell shoes anyway.... so be careful.

Also, according to a very good and experienced sports physio friend of mine, almost all running injuries relating to the lower limbs such as plantar faciitis, knee problems and shin splints can usually be traced to a weakness in the glutes and/or core muscles. He's based in Stockport and really knows his stuff. His name is Tim Deykin at www.sport-med.co.uk . He's a great believer in the value of preventative all-overs (a bit like an MOT) for folk starting out with new activities or changing training and is vehement that most new runners can protect themselves from injuries like yours with a bit of strengthening work before starting to hit the running. I'd give him a bell.
    Thanks i shall give him a bell next week when i am on annual leave x