Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: darwen gala

Re: darwen gala

Yes well if you look at some of the championship fell races last year they were absolutely AWFUL. Looking this year they have improved slightly. High rigg was a perfect venue, there was enough parking, food provided etc. What was wrong with it? Sedburgh, one of the fell running capital's, also to host the British and irish championships this year, and well the english champs dont even have a race there, cant see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by me.e.e View Post
    Yes well if you look at some of the championship fell races last year they were absolutely AWFUL. Looking this year they have improved slightly. High rigg was a perfect venue, there was enough parking, food provided etc. What was wrong with it? Sedburgh, one of the fell running capital's, also to host the British and irish championships this year, and well the english champs dont even have a race there, cant see why not.
    Just remember that Sedbergh has the English Schools Champs Fell Race as last year and also the Home International.

It is also a big job for organisers who sometimes have many races and may need a break.

It is also good to have races of different character and in the 6 races this year I think there is that.

I personally miss Pendle - but there were still races there last week so opportunities to race there.

Well said WP variety is the spice of life, whilst I would endorse some of the feelings about last years series I reckon this year there will be few complaints.
    I think the idea of rotating the races is bang on and it will mean that there is always some continuity whilst bringing in either new races each year or welcoming back old favourites.
    It may be that AW (which was just great yesterday) drops off next years list and High Rigg makes it back on.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Fell running relies on unpaid volunteers to make things happen.
    Over the last 3 or 4 years, a series of events and circumstances in the junior championship conspired to make things difficult - no one's fault, no inquest or criticism needed, just what sometimes happens in life.

Towards the end of 2006, but for 3 volunteers, there would have been no points tables, no presentation, no medals, no engraved trophies, no certificates, no t-shirts, and no races nominated for 2007. That is a measure of how difficult things had become.
    In 2008, problems from previous years probably came to a head, and some races were below par, but we had a championship and a successful new presentation format. Things are moving on again, thanks to a lot of people's efforts.

There are a number of well established principles, which are applied to choosing races, which Lecky is hoping to develop further. See latest 'The Fellrunner'. One is to rotate races (not all of them) every 2/3 years. This has a number of benefits; organisers get a chance to action lessons learned from the first year, but new competitors are not disadvantaged by their rivals already knowing all the courses.

As I've stated in previous posts, organising 6 age group races on the day is a daunting task, and organisers deserve and need a break. High Rigg is an excellent venue, but Duncan and Gill spend every waking hour running a working farm, which makes their magnificent hospitality even more remarkable. Venues like Sedbergh need permission from the Commoners to hold races, and generally regular land access is not always straightforward. Parking too is now a problem (Sedbergh on Howgill Lane, Pendle once the car park overflows, and so on). And as for health & safety forms .........

It's brilliant to see so many people taking an active interest in junior fell running. Have a great year everyone!
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Where abouts is the actual start for this?

I need a postcode of a business/company etc near by so i can find it.

Master

are you going on the train.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    are you going on the train.
    No, mum said she'd give me a lift.

Master

lucky git.
    I thinkits in the town centre as it is a gala. Therewill be signs. I may see you there unless i do burnsall
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    lucky git.
    I thinkits in the town centre as it is a gala. Therewill be signs. I may see you there unless i do burnsall
    Ive a funny feeling it not in the actual centre of darwen because the tower is abit away.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Ive a funny feeling it not in the actual centre of darwen because the tower is abit away.
    It is near enough to the centre. Just walk up the hill through the gala.