Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for a new watch

Suggestion for a new watch

I have just broken my PROTEK watch , and i'm considering my next purchase.

I'm looking at the Casio PHYS- 800 its a Marathon training watch.

However I thought id ask the forum to see if there is a good watch that people are really happy with.

Dont require a heart monitor as I have a garmin 305 (toy).

You ideas are wlcome thank you. Lee
    Beginers must start somewhere

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Suggestion for a new watch

Since you don't need a training watch now as you got a Garmin, why not go for a Breitling? Patek Philippe?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Still need a watch to train in the gym, I dont have many hills where I live so my hill training has to be done in the gym on a boring tread mill. Although those watches are nice and I might be able to afford a replica, however its not really what I meant but thank you anyway.....
    Beginers must start somewhere

Lola

Lee,

If you are not fussy about this years model and the like - a lot of gym rats are- then the old faithful Timex Ironman series are hard to beat and £20 gets a decent model if you shop around.

Can't agree with SS, Breitling give lots of discounts to pilots and the like but the servicing costs and replacement batteries are astronomically expensive and turnaround times can be measured in months - Tag is the way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Lee,

If you are not fussy about this years model and the like - a lot of gym rats are- then the old faithful Timex Ironman series are hard to beat and £20 gets a decent model if you shop around.

Can't agree with SS, Breitling give lots of discounts to pilots and the like but the servicing costs and replacement batteries are astronomically expensive and turnaround times can be measured in months - Tag is the way ahead.
    Prefer Omega to Tag (but the Monaco editions are very nice). I like Breitling for the bulk, the weight, the substance, and the sheer beauty that's derived from absolute function. I read a GQ article many many years ago, and it explained the connection between a man and a chronograph, and it boils down to the manly feeling of power and control of having to consult several dials and instruments, just to tell the time. Can't say I disagree.

Lola

Hmmmm,

Not sure that manhood should be measured by the size of wrist appendage but we'll not take that further as it is still Lent and I have given up overt sexuality until after Easter (thats a lot of pent up something or other!).

Still not with you on Breitling, not least 'cos I'm short sighted and all those dials are just too da*n small. My Tag Aquaracer has HUGE digits with a contrasting background so very easy to 'sea' at a glance.

Lee,

Still think Timex Ironman are the way to go for you.

Not sure that manhood should be measured by the size of wrist appendage but we'll not take that further as it is still Lent and I have given up overt sexuality until after Easter (thats a lot of pent up something or other!).
    Probably best!! I have to say I don't actually own one of these buggers. Unfortunately any bonuses I get that might pay for one of these (or indeed a nice bike!) tend to get absorbed by DIY projects, or paying these things called, bills, is it?

Just an object of lust for me. Along with most other things.

I believe amazon have a good offer on Garmin 50, the one that works off a foot pod (£50 ish) it also syncs with your HRM from the 305, might be worth a look. Other than that timex ironman watches are pretty bomb proof.

I'm looking at a Bell & Ross for my birthday this year (Big 30) and the wife seems fairly responsive. check it http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/watch.asp?productid=1562 I have a festina with a chronograph but to be honest its not really of much use, I'd rather pay that money for a better movement in general than a chronograph.
    Last edited by Donkarlo; 17-03-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Lola

Ohh pretty shiny things. Not really 'up' on watches but a B&R that is round not square and flat is quite unusual but that is almost the cost of a full spec Merlin bike.

Lee,

I agree with lola. I love my Timex Ironman Triathlon Its virtually indestructable too - just a shame it has to say triathlon in the name.