Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Islands

Re: Scottish Islands

I'd go for Mull too, loads of places to run - quite a few hills around Ben More worth a trog up.
    Good beaches and the scenery's great.

Not sure I'd go in August though!

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
    No good beaches on Arran - I take it you've not been to Blackwaterfoot beach on the West Coast !!
    I spend several weeks a year on Arran, will retire there one day
    Have to admit - no I haven't been to Blackwaterfoot, in fact that part of the island is probably the one bit I haven't really been to. Not been to Arran for about six or seven years now but went quite regularly prior to that.

Still reckon Mull would be better for the OP though, nice as Arran is. There was enough running there for a mountain marathon the other year.

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
    No good beaches on Arran - I take it you've not been to Blackwaterfoot beach on the West Coast !!
    I spend several weeks a year on Arran, will retire there one day
    Sounds promising having a weeks holiday with the family near Blackwaterfoot in the summer. Hope to squeeze in a few runs, any recommended routes?

The Pirnmill hills, Beinn Bhreac etc, are a nice little horseshoe. The other main hills are in the east, though not far away, a few horseshoes based on the Goatfell, Cir Mhor ridges but beware of following the ridges too closely as some are quite involved scrambles. Sort of the same range is the horseshoe to the south of Beinn Tarsuinn - start from Glen Rosa campsite, up Beinn a Chliabhain on to Beinn Tarsuinn and back over Beinn Nuis.

Can't comment too much on the south part of the island, only walked on those hills around 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireheid View Post
    Sounds promising having a weeks holiday with the family near Blackwaterfoot in the summer. Hope to squeeze in a few runs, any recommended routes?
    When are you there as I'm off up there in the summer too.

One cracking run is from brodick - up Glen Rosa, over the 'saddle' and into Glen Sannox - you can get the bus back (or a lift) from Sannox back to Brodick. Alternatively once on the saddle you can run up the long ridge over to Goatfell (planning to do this myself this year).

If you want a good run buy the Cicerone walking guide to Arran and simply run the longer ones !

Blackwaterfoot is lovely - although the Kilmory Hotel there is woeful if youwant good food !
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Thanks for the tips - must admit I've been a bit concerned about the midgies myself, but we can only go in August.....(we'll just pray for a good breeze!). I've got a good supply of Skin so Soft though!!

We've provisionally booked a place in Sannox - the name is norse for Sandy Beach apparently an its right next to Goat Fell!

Great choice - we were in Corrie which is just down the road - lovely place - had a great run from Brodick up over Goat Fell and down the Corrie Burn.. you could do similar down Glen Sannox - and the coast path round the Cock of Arran (no sniggering at the back) to Lochranza was suitably wild.

We were there for Corrie Capers week, which involved all sorts of mad activities (including a fell race and mini-duathlon - on hired bikes!) with a BBQ, boat-burning and fireworks on the Sannox beach on the final night - great fun but I'm told its virtually fizzled out these days.. a shame.

Highlight of the week was the pub quiz - the Corrie Hotel v the pub in Sannox - started about midnight - both pubs get the same questions -if you knew the answers you had to shout them out and be prepared to justify them to a bunch of complete strangers - scores phoned between pubs at the end of each round.. a great night!

The family of a friend of mine have a small cottage in Corrie that they rent out- if you fancy finding out more pm me and I'll send you an e-mail address for Nick.

There's actually quite a nice beach at the southern end of Arran, at Kildonan opposite the Isle of Pladda. There is a campsite adjacent with good showers and a pub (stopped there years ago when our kids were small and more recently for a night heading back from Jura) .The site and pub are both at the west end, at the east end of the beach there is a good mini supermarket for food etc, recently modernised which is a bit of a shame because the old one was like something out of history. If you walk on around the coast from there you can usually find lots of seals hauled out on the rocks - the big drawback is that you are at the furthest point on the island from the hills, but its a nice spot for youngsters and not all that far back to the mountains. (Depending on how old the map you use is you might see another site halfway along the beach - thats been closed for a bit, the open one is beside the pub/hotel)

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    There's actually quite a nice beach at the southern end of Arran, at Kildonan opposite the Isle of Pladda.
    Its not that far from Cleats Shore - Arran's nudist beach.

Mrs G wants one of the shoreside houses at Corrie ! We actually got wed on Arran, went for a run thru Glen Rosa the morning of the wedding.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

[QUOTE=Anorak;207152]When are you there as I'm off up there in the summer too.

QUOTE]

Am over there 28th June to 5th July