Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SealSkinz Socks

Re: SealSkinz Socks

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Why on earth would anybody want to wear a waterproof sock?

At about £20.00 per set of sock, I suggest you invest in a good pair of running shoes.
    Perhaps to keep their feet warm and dry?

Do 'good running shoes' do the same, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Why on earth would anybody want to wear a waterproof sock?

At about £20.00 per set of sock, I suggest you invest in a good pair of running shoes.
    Running shoes don't keep your feet warm for a start

In the winter its not pleasant to get your feet soaked in slush on the lower slopes then go on to the tops where the temperature can be below freezing it makes for rather sore feet.

Bill

I find that the one of the main advantages of the Merino wool Sealskinz socks is that they are very comfortable to wear. They give me extra underfoot cushioning and for the toes. I generally don't get blisters with them either. After a bit of wear and tear I don't find them too waterproof but as they keep my feet warm I'm usually not too bothered. They are so good I even wear them in summer!

I got some neoprene socks from Decathlon at £8.00 keeps your feet warm and dry wash at any temperature and lasts a couple of winters.

Bought a pair of Sealskinz at the weekend after suffering with extremely frozen feet a couple of times lately!!

Running shoes don't keep your feet dry or warm....certainly Inov8s don't!

Found the Sealskinz to be really good. Kept my feet warm and dry as I ploughed through snow over Scafell Pike on Saturday. Also stood me in good stead as I squelched across Great Moss.

All was fine until I went knee-deep through a stream crossing into Mosedale!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Thumbs down Re: SealSkinz Socks

Tried a pair last year and they worked a treat..... but then I missed out on that wonderful feeling of bog seeping through the toes and having to run on sharp rocks to regain the feeling in my feet. I'm afraid they just licked the icing off my currant bun. Still good for the first day of a two day-er to ensure freshness on the last half.

Thumbs up Re: SealSkinz Socks

I think my SealSkinz socks are excellent - they stop my feet going numb with cold running in snow and icy bogs on the moors. Unlike PTM, that's certainly something I don't miss!
    I only use them for bog trots in the cold weather, but I'm really pleased with them. They're fine when the water goes over the top and inside, too, since it warms up like in a wetsuit.

I wore them for 2 days at the OMM last year. My feet were fine after the first day, but got painfully cramped and shrivelled by the end of the second.
    I'd brought with me dry normal socks for day2 but the SealSkinz were so heavy with moisture that I couldn't bear to add them to my pack weight and wore them for a second day instead.
    Don't think I'll take them again next time...
    Last edited by BillJ; 07-03-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Guys, thanks for all the positive feedback, looks like I'm going to invest in a pair. Cheers.
    After climbing a great hill one only finds that there are many more hills to climb ......

undercover moderator

I'm ashamed to say my mum bought me some for Christmas, and I haven't even worn them yet.

Although I have to say, I hadn't clicked that they might keep my freezing wet Dartmoory tootsies warm as well as dry.

And I could always wear them for this swim-run thing I'm doing to make the changing easier...