Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: healing raw skin quickly ?

healing raw skin quickly ?

after a 21 mile trail race went a bit wrong in the sock department I've a couple of inches on the back of my achilles that's red raw and weeping profusely now it's stopped bleeding

thing is, I've got Edale Skyline this weekend

any recommendations/ advice please ?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: healing raw skin quickly ?

Vinegar and lemon juice

Keep it as open as you can through the week, cover it up as best you can for the race and if it hurts, run through it. After 45 mins or so it'll be numb, or you'll have forgotten about it.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Tril was that you at the milford 21........I saw you come over the line, I liked the colour coding of your blooded socks / leg with the red of your t-shirt. Very impressive.

Maybe try getting some of that savlon spray on skin stuff, a bandage round it and sad as it is don't wear any shoes with a back.....sandals or an old pair of running shoes with the back cut out???
    Good luck for getting them sorted for edale....think you'll need it.

On the old raw skin problemo I use a bit of salt. No kidding. Rub it in the wound (sounds painful because it is). Should de-sensitize it. Other than that get some of that brush on new skin from boots.

iodine paint / betadine.... get ready to scream but paint it on, leave to air dry for 24 hours and you're good to go.

Bobs right that Germeline New skin stuff is great!

But ive a simular problem, red crotch! got some right chaveage over the weekend, anyone got any tips for that??

Best thing is actually lavender oil, from a health store, or buy it cheaper on ebay, but lavender oil, is what all runners should have in their first aid kits!

If you pay more than 99p for 10ml you are being ripped off!

Has working out or running left your feet in rough shape or covered with painful blisters? Lillian Beard, M.D., recommends treating them with lavender oil, which can be a powerful healing anti-inflammatory agent. Without popping it, carefully cover the entire blister with the oil and cover with a light bandage. Reapply every few hours for a day or two until the blister deflates and disappears.
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 23-03-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Thumbs up Re: healing raw skin quickly ?

compeed blister patches are very good you can get them at most supermarkets. i found these to be very comfortable to run with bad blisters however i no longer suffer with blisters since someone recomended using microporous surgical tape which you can buy from boots this prevents any friction or blistering completely aslong as you stretch the skin ie raise the foot to stretch the ankle as much as possible then put the tape on it does not come off. i have completed 3 hour races in mud snow and water without it coming off.
    slow upfast down

ay that was me

funny thing is the literally bloody socks were 1000 mile anti blister free 100% guaranteed

didn't even manange 10 miles before they came off....pathetic

thanks for the suggestions re treatment

no improvement in over 24 hours so I'm going to salt bath it to toughen the skin up ( and me ) and hope it stops the weeping

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    ay that was me

funny thing is the literally bloody socks were 1000 mile anti blister free 100% guaranteed

didn't even manange 10 miles before they came off....pathetic

thanks for the suggestions re treatment

no improvement in over 24 hours so I'm going to salt bath it to toughen the skin up ( and me ) and hope it stops the weeping
    Awww i feel really sorry for ya, if you have lavender oil, its a good healer! or if you can get to holland and barrat something called colodial silver is good for fast healing! x