Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing this right?

Question Am I doing this right?

Hi guys....

I am new to fell running and to this Forum so....Hi *waves*

Right i’l just explain what i am doing and how i am training for it. And because I am a novice I was wondering if i could get some peoples opinions, help and input on how i am going about getting ready for it.

On 1st of august I am running to the top of Snowdon to help raise money for St Margaret’s Somerset Hospice. The route is from Llanberis to the peak and the track closely follows the railway track. it works out at about 4.4 miles, climbing 2,900’

my current training program is:

Mon - Gym
    Tue - Run 5miles
    wed - Gym
    Thur - Run 5 miles
    Fri - Gym
    Sat - Run 7 miles
    Sun - rest

The gym programs are broken down in to 2 different forms. done on an alternating pattern.

1st - warm up on bike, 15mins on treadmill on random grade setting (ranging from 6% to 12% at a speed of 8.5) then fixed and free weights, all leg based, working at 90% of my maximum doing 6x6reps.
    2nd- Warm up on bike, row machine intervals 4mins then 2min rest x4 getting my heart rate up to 170ish. then fixed and free weights again but at 60% max doing 4x15reps.

at the moment all my runs are on the road, but thats because i am doing a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks but once that is out of the way, il be switching the routes to off road.

Closer to the Snowdon event i will be doing a couple of 10mile’ers on Dartmoor to help me get ready. as I said before I am new to fell running (but been a fitness freak for a while) so would be very grateful for your help and input.

thank you

Oh and sorry for the monster long post

Re: Am I doing this right?

I am a beginner to running, i think what you written above, that your doing it right.

Welcome to the forum...

You'll have no problem getting up - I take it that there's no target time you are aiming for - just to get up there in decent nick?

Quote Originally Posted by McSplatterpuss View Post
    Hi guys....

I am new to fell running and to this Forum so....Hi *waves*

Right i’l just explain what i am doing and how i am training for it. And because I am a novice I was wondering if i could get some peoples opinions, help and input on how i am going about getting ready for it.

On 1st of august I am running to the top of Snowdon to help raise money for St Margaret’s Somerset Hospice. The route is from Llanberis to the peak and the track closely follows the railway track. it works out at about 4.4 miles, climbing 2,900’

my current training program is:

Mon - Gym
    Tue - Run 5miles
    wed - Gym
    Thur - Run 5 miles
    Fri - Gym
    Sat - Run 7 miles
    Sun - rest

The gym programs are broken down in to 2 different forms. done on an alternating pattern.

1st - warm up on bike, 15mins on treadmill on random grade setting (ranging from 6% to 12% at a speed of 8.5) then fixed and free weights, all leg based, working at 90% of my maximum doing 6x6reps.
    2nd- Warm up on bike, row machine intervals 4mins then 2min rest x4 getting my heart rate up to 170ish. then fixed and free weights again but at 60% max doing 4x15reps.

at the moment all my runs are on the road, but thats because i am doing a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks but once that is out of the way, il be switching the routes to off road.

Closer to the Snowdon event i will be doing a couple of 10mile’ers on Dartmoor to help me get ready. as I said before I am new to fell running (but been a fitness freak for a while) so would be very grateful for your help and input.

thank you

Oh and sorry for the monster long post
    Sounds good to me, but if you are specifically training for this event - you should probably drop the weight and do more reps on your weights in gym session one. 6 reps is more about strength and definition building and you need to be thinking about endurance, so I would do something closer to your second session.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    You'll have no problem getting up - I take it that there's no target time you are aiming for - just to get up there in decent nick?
    What sort of time should i be aiming for? what would be a good time?

Welcome to the forum.

Is this a race this sponsored event or are you doing it with a group or solo or what

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Is this a race this sponsored event or are you doing it with a group or solo or what
    Thanks

It's a solo event.

Replace 'Gym' with 'Run up and down some hills'.....

Time's not important, getting it done and raising money for a good cause is
    Like Dominion says, run some hills, simulate what you'll be doing on the day.
    Best of luck mate, you'll do it
    Hills and Guinness!

when you have time, ie on the saturday?, run further: 10 or even 15 miles. Then you've got it sussed.