Thread: Isle of Wight

Isle of Wight

Hi All,

I have a reasonable knowledge of the island but are there any notable areas worth exploring?

Im thinking Wroxall, St Boniface, around by the landslip would all be good.

I was speaking to a man in ventnor at the weekend who thought one of the summer fell races went from ventnor seafront upto st bonifaces and back...semms like allot of road! Does anyone know if that is one of the fell series routes?

All comments appreciated.

Graeme

Re: Isle of Wight

Would that include comments on your avatar?

Hello

Did the series in 2007. The St Boniface route goes from the Winter Gardens up the road to join a steeply rutted path all the way to the top and down again. It is a proper hurting run. The other series routes are over lovely hills and all finish by coming down St Boniface. I found The Ventnor Horseshoe the hardest, coming as it does a few hours after the Boniface. It's a great weekend! May find time to do it this year.

The whole area is good running/walking.
    I rely upon my luck!

Running up from the bottom to the top of St boniface doesnt have to be a large amount on road.
    There is a great route down off the top to the beach and round and up again which I totally made up over christmas.

If you want undulating start at Freshwater and go over the downs toward Brighstone, and then back again.

or, a fairly amusing one, if you have anyone to pick you up, is to do the transwight, starting at the needles, finishing at bembridge point, (ideally starting at sun down and arriving by sun up on the shortest night), any route.
    Boniface is pretty much the steepest youre going to get, unless you want to do laps up and down culver, but its not all that high.

Luccombe down is a happy little jog too, and I would imagine there are a number of ways you can make it strenuous....

Hi Guys/Stef,

Thanks for your comments, glad you like my surgery too stef, its going to slow me down on Tuesday nights I think.....

I see the Ventnor horshoe got a mention in Triathlon 220 this week.

As for the transwight, i think I may need to fork on the fitnesss levels for a couple of years before I attempt something like that.

Thanks again for your comments, I definatley fancy doing their fell series later in the year.

Just in case your interested Ryde Harriers are running theri 3 hills challenge again on 13th April.

Graeme

Do this most years . Great courses with a great seafront finish (Pub nearby) . The 3 miler in the morning saps everything from your legs ready for the BM in the afternoon . It's about as good as we get down South !!