Thread: Tremor

Tremor

I went to the GP a couple of weeks ago as I'd noticed a tremor in my left hand. Thought I had Parkinson's or something. Bloods were normal apart from blood sugars which were low-3.6.These had been low for years apparently. I was referred to a dietician who thought I was not consuming enough calories and my body was in chronic 'starvation' mode. She told me to keep exercising at current levels-35miles a week plus 4 hours gym work and to up my calories to about 4000.BMI was 22, body fat 8.5%.I'm struggling to eat more as I'm constantly eating and Don't want to eat cheap. I'm vegetarian too. Has anyone else had this or have any advice.
    Thanks
    Neil

'Cheap' should say crap

Sorry I didn't pick this up before. It sounds as if, like me, you suffer from a benign tremor, also known as idiopathic, meaning no-one knows why or what to do about it, but it's not a symptom of anything nasty. There are sites you can google for where sufferers share sympathy and tips. Diet and exercise have no effect, but nervousness makes it worse. If it's any comfort, Leonard Woolf, husband of Virginia, suffered from it all his life. It was a great embarrassment at formal dinner parties, as his efforts to spoon up soup sent it splashing all ove rthe table and neighbouring ladies' party frocks.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I've also got a benign essential tremor, runs in my family. As said gets worse when I'm nervous but also in the morning, eating cereal can be interesting. The worst thing is my handwriting. Had it for years as did my mom and my brother, dr always says don't worry.

Thanks for replies. I have noticed it's worse when I'm stressed and was going through a bad time at work last year. Work and tremor seem to have calmed down a bit. It does get a bit embarrassing at times, especially in meetings when you notice your pen or coffee shaking. I work in mental health and am aware that it looks like I'm withdrawing from alcohol which isn't a good look.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Thanks for replies. I have noticed it's worse when I'm stressed and was going through a bad time at work last year. Work and tremor seem to have calmed down a bit. It does get a bit embarrassing at times, especially in meetings when you notice your pen or coffee shaking. I work in mental health and am aware that it looks like I'm withdrawing from alcohol which isn't a good look. Neil
    I just found this account of tremor on WIKEPEDIA. I found the science a bit hard going and alarmist, but the list of treatments interesting. A friend of mine on Daily Mile takes beta blockers which he says help with his tremor, but they also slow down his running. So far, I'd rather accept the tremor and be able to run my fastest (which is extremely slow, anyway). I notice my tremor most when trying to use a computer mouse under pressure (booking cheap flights before the next person). I have given up eating soup except in private. If obliged to eat soup, I plan to ask for it to be served in a cup. I did try to retrain to use my left hand to wield the spoon, but it feels unnatural & comes up at the wrong angle. I suspect I'll make a go of it if my right hand tremor gets sufficiently bad. I have had the problem for years now, and I don't think it has got much if any worse.

I suggest you mention your "essential tremor" to colleagues in a matter of fact way. I didn't think mine was noticeable until my poor daughter got very worried I had Parkinson's. I don't think it can be hidden, and why should it be? So best to strike pre-emptively, ESPECIALLY since you work in a somewhat medical environment.

PS Oh dear,THIS us just about as discouraging. Again I focussed on the proposed treatments and they are so unattractive, benign tremor seems almost a pleasure by comparison.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 24-01-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I went to see the occupational health doctor at work about my handwriting. He suggested beta blockers but I was worried about the effect on my running and decided that it wasn't worth it.

There are things you can do to get round it. I use an iPad rather than notebook, get my own coffee in a mug and don't fill it right up. Family will always put the mug on a table rather than pass it to me etc. also very careful about caffeine

I don't know anything about tremors, Neilly, but I am interested in your daily calorie intake if you are doing 35 miles a week and 4 hours gym and struggling to get 4000 kcals. 3500 is the minimum I'll have any day of the week, a lot more when training. you can use www.cronometer.com to track calories and nutrition, handy for veggies.

I like to start the day with a smoothie of around 800 - 1000 calories. Mostly ripe bananas, oats and sometimes soya milk and unrefined sugar. 10 bananas = 1000 kcals approx. When out running dates and a flapjack can get me around 700 - 1000 kcals easy. Melons are good too. Might have the odd protein powder in my smoothies if I've been training hard. Tea, I have lots of rice or potatoes, and something like a bean stew. Plenty of water and no tea or coffee during the day. Look to eating high carb/calorie foods to get that intake. Not necessary eating more food, just different foods.
    Hope that's of some use. I don't consume any animal products at all and love smashing the calories!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    you can use www.cronometer.com to track calories and nutrition, handy for veggies.
    Thanks for sharing this. It's exactly what I've been looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. It's exactly what I've been looking for!
    It helped me a lot when I first started looking at what I was eating for training. It took me a short while to get used to it and now I don't use it as often as you get used to rough amounts.
    There is also an app for it.

Interesting to see roughly the vitamin intakes and fat/carb/protein distribution. I personally follow a high carb low fat low protein plan. You can set guidelines for different plans and it works out the percentages for you eg 80/10/10 / paleo etc
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!