Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 Stage NoEAA Relays

Re: 12 Stage NoEAA Relays

Quote Originally Posted by disco stan View Post
    From what i can remember from running for Rossy it was always a struggle
    if the top 12 ran,we'd qualify no prob, but at the moment we've no chance.

Finding 12 runners can be a difficult and thankless task. When i was at oldham, it was very frustrating to get 12 athletes together. This is one of the main reasons why i joined a bigger club, as you have more chance of competing in events like these.

In the past i've known certain clubs to merge, so they can compete with 12 runners- could be an option.

Good luck to those competing on sun.
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy the Owl View Post
    Finding 12 runners can be a difficult and thankless task. When i was at oldham, it was very frustrating to get 12 athletes together. This is one of the main reasons why i joined a bigger club, as you have more chance of competing in events like these.

In the past i've known certain clubs to merge, so they can compete with 12 runners- could be an option.

Good luck to those competing on sun.
    You do get combined teams in Track and Field - legit ones as well. Just have to apply to the league and go through the proper channels.
    Team North Cumbria in the NATYAL is an example of 3 or 4 clubs from the North West lakes joining forces to take part in an event that they could not particiapte in otherwise.
    Burnly & Pendle in the Northern Seniors.

But this flexibility disappears away from Track and Field - it would be good if the powers that be would work out a way that would allow combined teams to take part in events such as this.
    As long as safe-guards were put in place to avoid super teams ie. Trafford and Sale merging when clearly there wouldn't be a need.
    I'd be thing more along the lines of a Bury & Radcliffe or Oldham and Moston.

This is also very relevant for womens teams. there are significantly more men runners these days, and i know certain clubs struggle to successfuly get 6 women runners out.
    One possibility to merge some of the better womens clubs together. this would allow a manchester club to compete properly with the national teams. i know trafford are doing well in terms of developing a successful squad, but other could do with some help.
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

There is another issue as well Chaddy.

Entry Fees.

The Establishment events such as these regional relays are suffering big time. The North is quite reasonable (I think it was £55) compared to Midlands(£78 I think) and Southern and then if you go to the National £75/80 ish.

Compare that to a Pennine Bridleway Team of 12 at £40 and you can see why such events are thriving and the establishment events are dropping off a little.

Why do these events have to cost so much?

In the NW Relays I entered 15 teams - 47 athletes - for £83 - £1.77 per athlete.
    This event is growing in popularity - no wonder - and has only 3 ladies and 4 men per team so is open to more clubs - as well as having the juniors there - making it a family & club day for all.

I've always thought the relays are too expensive which discourages some teams from competing. Wigan Phoenix have two teams in the Northerns one strong team and a second team. For us its the first time ever we've had two teams. Our women have struggled for a team this year for various reason.

They should offer a discount for B teams.

The main problem with the event is the lack of lower level competition and when we went with our C team last year, they were tailed off in no time.

The regional and Brummy events are a bit close to the London fun-run as well, 2 of our runners won't do the 12 stage 'cause it gets in the way of training.

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    The regional and Brummy events are a bit close to the London fun-run as well, 2 of our runners won't do the 12 stage 'cause it gets in the way of training.
    I'm sure you said that tongue in cheek, but so what if it was true? Running is an individual sport, why should they have an allegiance to the team?

For the record, I used to love relays more than individual events but I respect the right of others to put other races before them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    I'm sure you said that tongue in cheek, but so what if it was true? Running is an individual sport, why should they have an allegiance to the team?

For the record, I used to love relays more than individual events but I respect the right of others to put other races before them.
    I think this should be a different thread - but

Why join a bloody club if you want to pursue an individual agenda???

One of the best local marathon runners is Roadrunner who rarely misses a team relay - most of the good marathon runners see a quick 5 - 10K run a week or two before a major marathon as perfect prep.

Anyone jibbing "cos of the London Jogathon" is using it as an excuse in my book.