Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 Stage NoEAA Relays

Re: 12 Stage NoEAA Relays

I think theres a bit of ' snobbery ' in running, some people only do fell races......full stop.
    Some only run on the road......lets see the results of the top teams over the weekend , the top lads can turn there hand over any terrain.

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think this should be a different thread - but

Why join a bloody club if you want to pursue an individual agenda???
    Because clearly there is discrimination against non-club runners......and I very much dislike the sense of "obligation" that comes with being a member of some clubs.........not so long ago on this very forum, some muppets from clubs were very vocal in their disapproval at myself being allowed to run cross country as a guest .......sod that mentality.

8 weeks or so ago I took a notion for a run and went to a track. It so happened that the track was "booked out" by a local club.....I was advised to speak to the club leader (which I did).....asking politely if I could run and clearly pointing out that I would be happy to stay in any lane they preferred as they would be doing me a favour. They refused my request and spent 90% of their remaining time sat on benches at the side of the track. While I acknowledge the individuals involved were perfectly within their rights, I think it spoke volumes......

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    Because clearly there is discrimination against non-club runners......and I very much dislike the sense of "obligation" that comes with being a member of some clubs.........not so long ago on this very forum, some muppets from clubs were very vocal in their disapproval at myself being allowed to run cross country as a guest .......sod that mentality.

A few issues here FM my friend.

Do you join a club and qualify that you are doing it as a "convenience" - so that everyone knows where they stand?

Do you train "with the club" and therefore benefit from coaches, officials, team mates that push you in training etc.

As a broad church at BBH we have "loners" who we accept as being there when they want to be there - but they put no demands on us - we advise when an event such as a 12 stage is coming along and they can join if they want.
    No hard feelings if they don't.

But we also have people that use all the facilities that a club can provide - and for that we expect them to turn out for us in a few select events throughout the year, if they can.

disco stan

Quote Originally Posted by john doe View Post
    if the top 12 ran,we'd qualify no prob, but at the moment we've no chance.
    We qualified when i ran???
    At the time i wasn't running well and wouldn't have been in the top 20 fast lads at rossy.

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    8 weeks or so ago I took a notion for a run and went to a track. It so happened that the track was "booked out" by a local club.....I was advised to speak to the club leader (which I did).....asking politely if I could run and clearly pointing out that I would be happy to stay in any lane they preferred as they would be doing me a favour. They refused my request and spent 90% of their remaining time sat on benches at the side of the track. While I acknowledge the individuals involved were perfectly within their rights, I think it spoke volumes......
    On this point - we didn't use to "book the track" and we used to have other people coming down to train - even clubs - Chorley Harriers were coming on at times as we were about to finish.

But on a few occasions we had some complete muppets - one even running the wrong way.

So as a club we took a decision to approach the council and block book the track for 3 nights.

WE have sometimes 5 sessions going on at once - sporinters, junior endurance / senior endurance - Tuesdays and Thursday can be over 100 athletes using the track.

WE have to look after our members safety and the track is free for 160 hours per week other than our time.

It sounds like your tale is one of a club being a bit assy, but the decision may not even be theirs to take.

FellMonster

A few issues here FM my friend.

Do you join a club and qualify that you are doing it as a "convenience" - so that everyone knows where they stand?

Do you train "with the club" and therefore benefit from coaches, officials, team mates that push you in training etc.

As a broad church at BBH we have "loners" who we accept as being there when they want to be there - but they put no demands on us - we advise when an event such as a 12 stage is coming along and they can join if they want.
    No hard feelings if they don't.

But we also have people that use all the facilities that a club can provide - and for that we expect them to turn out for us in a few select events throughout the year, if they can.
    There was no hidden dig at BBH in my message at all WP- I'm very happy with my relationship with BBH and everyone has been extremely friendly and welcoming.....

I've been a member of clubs previously however where "lesser able" runners have been asked (maybe this is too generous a word) to give up their place in place in a race to make way for "more senior" athletes.....and we're not talking about relay race competition.

I understand your point you are making about availing of club facilities and not giving anything back and realise that I do not fall into this category......what I would say, however, in response (as a neutral) is that you are opening the debate about whether a club should serve its members or the members serve the club.......or whereabouts in the middle they should meet...... and that's the sticky bit where things can get messy- it's like family and when things are personal then they can get very sticky......which is partly why i personally tend to stay away.......but also because I never have any time (other than to post on here you understand)

FellMonster

On this point - we didn't use to "book the track" and we used to have other people coming down to train - even clubs - Chorley Harriers were coming on at times as we were about to finish.

But on a few occasions we had some complete muppets - one even running the wrong way.

So as a club we took a decision to approach the council and block book the track for 3 nights.

WE have sometimes 5 sessions going on at once - sporinters, junior endurance / senior endurance - Tuesdays and Thursday can be over 100 athletes using the track.

WE have to look after our members safety and the track is free for 160 hours per week other than our time.

It sounds like your tale is one of a club being a bit assy, but the decision may not even be theirs to take.
    The decision, in my opinion, was the club in question's to take.....and while within their rights I felt they were a bit assy.....not least because they did SOD ALL other than mostly sit around.

The North is quite reasonable (I think it was £55) compared to Midlands(£78 I think) and Southern and then if you go to the National £75/80 ish.
    The northerns this weekend is £50 per team for men. Thats a bargin price of £4.16 per athlete approx. I don't think this can be grumbled about. Does seem a lot of money when you enter two or three teams.

The hardest point of organsing a relay team such as the one for this weekend is it can turn in to a full time job. I have sent so many text messages this last few days!
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

We're fielding 2 teams for the first time, and I endorse the comment that the team manager's job is almost a full time one! Thankfully the one we have is excellent (I don't think he is on this forum!). To get into our 'A' team we have a trial on a training night whereby places are given in order of the times at the trial, which is completely fair. Hopefully our 'A' team will finish up there in the top 6 or 7 to reflect the good job he has done! Personally, I'm running in the 'B' team and hope my recent injury problems don't get in the way!
    You'll never Walk Alone!

We had a trial Nick on a satyrday morning when the club trained. What runners also understood was there needed to be a good reasn why not to run in the trial. Ie out of the country, planned work etc. 19 runers turned out for the event which used to happen all the time in the old days of the club. We used the outcome of the trial to ick the team along with some other information.
    Top 5 for the team today would be great but will involve 100% of the team having good strong runs. Team should be stronger at Natonal 12 stage as we have three to come in who are eithger working away or got a little niggle at the moment.
    Good luck.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome