Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Pendle Fell Race

Looking forward to this on Saturday.

I've noticed a slight change in the route, we go out and come back on the main cart track now right?

Did it finish through the fields originally? I can't remember!

Senior has gone out and back on road past reservoirs so long as I've been going which is about 7 years. The junior races start and finish in the field and run across the farmland to Buttock.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I think they maybe changed it last time it was champs race (last year?). It definitely finished over fields then.

Yes I've done both, the champs route has an extra climb up from the bottom reservoir past the bit of forest then through fields to the finish. The normal route is out and back past a farm which has a stile which would impede the number of runners at a champs race so this was changed as well. They routed a la tour of pendle to avoid this joining back up at the main gate at the bottom of pendle fell.

Dan

Looking forward to this on Saturday. 2nd race in a short space of time on Pendle, after doing the Stan Bradshaw...should be good!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

The start / finish has changed slightly so unfortunately there's a bit more tarmac this year. Here's the route for Saturday
    http://www.claytonlemoors.org.uk/ope...le-fell-races/

Originally the race started at the Bay Horse in Roughlee (with even more tarmac) ~ way way way before my time!

My first race here was about 30 years ago when the start from Barley went past the lower reservoir then took a right up the fields after the first cattle grid and to the stile to the right of Buttock farm. Then up Ogden hill, down the cart track, up the middle to the trig, then back to the left of Buttock and then followed the route down the fields to the lower res as you did on the way out.

About 15 years ago the route changed to the left of Buttock farm on the way out, and to the right on the way back. The route stayed that way up until last year when it was a championship race and the route to the finish was changed by adding a cheeky little climb from the lower res back up to the fields on the left. The route then followed the ridge towards Barley and after a couple of small switchbacks finished in the field before Barley.

As usual I'll be jogging over the hill to the start then enjoying a few pints of Moorhouses in the Pendle Inn afterwards :-)
    See the light in the night

Entries have now closed, it says on the website. Doors this mean it's full or will I be able to enter on the day? Please say yes, somebody!
    Swa cwæð eardstapa

The FRA book states entries on day £4. That's how I'll be entering anyway.
    Cheers.

Originally the race started at the Bay Horse in Roughlee (with even more tarmac) ~ way way way before my time!

And I thought you were at the first one in 1956! So Mapper, you are just a lad really.

Anyway it moved to Barley in 1974.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thanks for confirmation of the dates Mr B.

Whilst Saturday will be my 29th Pendle Fell race, you are right ~ I'm still 'nobbut a lad'.

I wasn't even born in 1956, but there's a chance you could have been there on the start line :-)