Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easter Lakes Bike ride.

Easter Lakes Bike ride.

Im planning on going up to the lakes durning Easter and going for a ride.

I havent set a date or time yet and ive got an ided of the route (thanks to lola).

I will be catching the train from Preston to Windermere and heading up over Kirkstone Pass, Glenridding and out on the the A66 to Threkland, Keswick and then back down the A591 to Windemere.
    I think its about 50 miles.

We dont have to do that route ive anyone has a better on, and we could go either clockwise/anit for the route i was planning?

Im recently working on my cycling alot more than i used to since i cant run and ive never cycled 50 miles before and going up Kirkstone Pass may mean i die on route....but hey ho.

So if anybody fancies a ride, i may or may not be able to keep up with you, it doesnt need to be an all out non-stop ride, im sure we could stop off at pubs or tea rooms on-route. Im easy.

Re: Easter Lakes Bike ride.

I am bringing my bike along and would like to go for a ride on Monday if that would suit you? Never been up the Kirkstone pass, actually, never cycled in the Lakes before, so it will be a bit of a challenge I think...

Doing the BG recce on Sunday and arriving sometime on Friday, so that would be the only day I could do...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    I am bringing my bike along and would like to go for a ride on Monday if that would suit you? Never been up the Kirkstone pass, actually, never cycled in the Lakes before, so it will be a bit of a challenge I think...

Doing the BG recce on Sunday and arriving sometime on Friday, so that would be the only day I could do...
    Ah damn, cant do Easter Monday im afraid. But im sort of not good enough to keep up with you anyway Han, you seem like a mega athlete on thee bike!

Not really Al, and there is scope for riding slower... Besides, I don't normally climb passes and big hills, so that would slow me right down!

How about Friday? If I left really early friday morning, I could be there by lunchtime for an afternoon ride? Mind you, Easter weekend traffic might slow things up...

Not really Al, and there is scope for riding slower... Besides, I don't normally climb passes and big hills, so that would slow me right down!

How about Friday? If I left really early friday morning, I could be there by lunchtime for an afternoon ride? Mind you, Easter weekend traffic might slow things up...
    That could work actually.

Im working at 6 on friday so would have to be home by 5 so i can shower, eat and then cycle to work again.

I'll check the train timetable and ill PM ya.

Right well, i could arrive in windermere train station at..... 07:40, 08:46, 09:33, or 10:39.

Ive no idea how long it would take to cycle 50 hilly miles?

But for you to get to windermere that would mean setting off at very very silly O'clock..and that means getting up stupidly early. You sure you want to cycle that much???!!!

Kirkstone's not that bad really, it just drags on a bit. Cracking descent on the other side! Was touching 50 mph on it racing some guy on a Kawasaki (he wasn't aware that I was racing him, btw) when I did the Roses Round Sportive t'other year. It's a bit rough in a couple of places and the dry stone walls come at you a bit quick so be a bit careful.
    Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Right well, i could arrive in windermere train station at..... 07:40, 08:46, 09:33, or 10:39.

Ive no idea how long it would take to cycle 50 hilly miles?

But for you to get to windermere that would mean setting off at very very silly O'clock..and that means getting up stupidly early. You sure you want to cycle that much???!!!
    That would mean leaving at silly o'clock... and I am teaching yoga on Thursday eve, so could not set off till 10 pm on Thursday evening either... I think it isn't going to work...

I was thinking of setting off at 7 am ish on Friday, to get to the Lakes hopefully by midday. Pitty you have to work in the evening, or it could have worked...

That would mean leaving at silly o'clock... and I am teaching yoga on Thursday eve, so could not set off till 10 pm on Thursday evening either... I think it isn't going to work...

I was thinking of setting off at 7 am ish on Friday, to get to the Lakes hopefully by midday. Pitty you have to work in the evening, or it could have worked...
    Nah its fine Han, you need your legs at 100% for the race anyway!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Nah its fine Han, you need your legs at 100% for the race anyway!!!
    I am not racing it... the last time I ran was Meldon Hill Race, mid February!!!

I am hobbling it on cycling fitness, trying not to cause to much DOMS, as I have my first proper cycling race on 19 April!