Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivington Pike

Re: Rivington Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Trotter View Post
    And some more excellent pictures here
    I can't believe I was the only one to cut that corner!
    Did everyone stay on the path to get their picture taken?

Alarming to see on the horwich website it was £600 to close the road!!

http://www.nmatrmiinfo.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Martins Mrs View Post
    Alarming to see on the horwich website it was £600 to close the road!!
    This is a consequence of The Traffic Act, 2004.

Eventually the Police will transfer their duties for road management to the a Council Traffic Officer who can then charge events for their services, including the cost of police!

It may result in the cancellation of many road races organised by athletic Clubs who could not afford the very high fees the Councils may charge.

This is another example of the many stealth taxes introduced by the Government.
    Last edited by XRunner; 12-04-2007 at 07:41 AM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

they want to charge a 800 next year!!!!

Wonder if the council trace all the people who were put out by the road closure and split the money between them?

Didn't think so!
    Last edited by Calf; 12-04-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calf View Post
    they want to charge a 800 next year!!!!
    I had a similar problem when our Council wanted to charge for use of "their" park.

I responded by indirectly charging the council (i.e. the schools) for entering the cross country event. I also made it very clear that I would be charging for our services in maintaining the park (i.e. clearing the paths). The Council eventually dropped most of their charges.

The main negotiating problem was that I was dealing with several different departments within the Council, each with their own ideas about raising revenue. It took a lengthy discussion with a Councillor before the committee causing the problem finally realised the futility about charging the public for using public facilities when the events didn't cost the Council anything.

I know there's a petition going round to try and get the problem sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    This is a consequence of The Traffic Act, 2004.

Eventually the Police will transfer their duties for road management to the a Council Traffic Officer who can then charge events for their services, including the cost of police!

It may result in the cancellation of many road races organised by athletic Clubs who could not afford the very high fees the Councils may charge.

This is another example of the many stealth taxes introduced by the Government.
    Just wanted to point out that this has got nothing to do with the police. As pointed out on the horwich website, the police were provided for free, and did a great job!

I have a copy of the petition. (Not sure that helps much on the internet though)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    Just wanted to point out that this has got nothing to do with the police. As pointed out on the horwich website, the police were provided for free, and did a great job!
    The reason I drew attention to this Act was because in future the Council Traffic Officer would be responsible for providing police cover rather than the organiser.

At a recent Council meeting in Bolton the following was minuted:

Quote Originally Posted by Bolton Council minutes
    ..the Council now had a responsibility to ensure that events which impacted on the highway were undertaken in such a way as to ensure that the travelling public were delayed as little as possible. The Council would therefore have to ensure that robust traffic management plans were developed and that full risk assessments were undertaken before it permitted such events to take place. The police had previously taken on this responsibility and they continued to assist council officers but they had made it clear that they expected the Council to take over these duties and would also eventually expect their costs to be fully reimbursed.
    At present the Police do an excellent job free of charge to help the local community. This may change in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    The reason I drew attention to this Act was because in future the Council Traffic Officer would be responsible for providing police cover rather than the organiser.

At a recent Council meeting in Bolton the following was minuted:

At present the Police do an excellent job free of charge to help the local community. This may change in the future!
    Remember the fuss at the end of the Rivington Pike fell race vis-a-vis cost of road closure/policing putting the races future in jeopardy?

Just on the news tonight that the Horwich remembrance Day parade by veterans has had to be canceled - Health and Safety concerns (rolling roadblock used in the past), the alternative road closure/policing costs
    too prohibitive......

Rivington Pike

This is my first fell race and my first time even up Rivinton Pike.

Can anybody please give me some tips for the course as i dont want to make a fool of myself by comming last or anything.
    Thanks.