Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivington Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    it has junior races tick boxed in the FRA Calendar.
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=4503

You could always give Pete a bell to check, his mobile is on the link.
    Yeah saw it on the FRA Calendar but wasn't sure with it not being updated on the Horwich website. I did email the address on that page but I shall phone him too.

Thanks.

A bit late with this but details on website now - http://www.horwichrmiharriers.co.uk/...onpikefellrace

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ricepudding View Post
    A bit late with this but details on website now - http://www.horwichrmiharriers.co.uk/...onpikefellrace
    Thanks.

If you're from the towns of Chorley, Horwich and the surrounding areas, Rivington is affectionately known as Rivy. An age old tradition around these parts is to walk up Rivy on Good Friday as a pilgrimage to Jesus for the sacrifices he made. Since I've been fellrunning this tradition for me is now done a day later at Rivy Pike race....and Jesus is constantly in my thoughts during the race, " Jesus Christ, I think I'm gonna collapse "....is muttered along with other expletives.

I grew up with this hill.

When I lived at my parents the first thing I saw every morning after opening my bedroom curtains was Rivington Pike, it dominated the landscape off into the distance....that and our neighbour Alberts crap looking shed to my right and Clarence's massive cock to our left....he kept hens.

Good turnout today with 264 runners, the most notable being Ron Hill, taking part in his 40th Pike race. I counted double figures for the v70 category and there was even a v80....that's the tradition this race holds....magic.

The competition at the front was well stacked with local lad Chris Farrell taking the honours from multiple times previous winner Rob Hope and another past winner Tom Cornthwaite in 3rd. Great to see top Cumbrian runner Carl Bell making the journey down and finishing a very respectable 4th. The ladies winner was a repeat of last year with Linsey Brindle once again doing it for the locals. I ran most of the race with Linsey and the support she gets from the watching masses is incredible...well done Linsey.

Many thanks to Horwich Harriers.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Being a fellow Chorlean, I too have memories of being dragged up Rivy on Good Friday before being dragged off to church. Always seemed to remember getting up to the Pike and thinking it isn't quite as high as I'd hoped - a thought not being shared yesterday! A park run on steroids is what that race is!!

Great to see Ron warming up yesterday, didn't quite realise how significant it was until the nice little announcement at the start of the race - a true legend! Such a softly spoken gent to, gutted I couldn't hear his speech in the Crown afterwards, despite having a microphone to hand.

On an aside, I'm sure I know you Darren from when I was a lad, either from School (Holy Cross?) or living locally (Wellbanker?). I'll tap you ont' shoulder next time I see you at a race somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    ...I'll tap you ont' shoulder next time I see you at a race somewhere.
    Just go to any (every!) fell race and Darren will be there for you to tap on the shoulder

Banned
    Another great event. Saw a lot of good friends at the race.
    It gave me the kick in the pants I need and hopefully will start to get back on track.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Another great event. Saw a lot of good friends at the race.
    It gave me the kick in the pants I need and hopefully will start to get back on track.
    Stagger

Glad you made it. I looked around at the start but could not see you. Were you avoiding me?
    I also could not see the Walsh van.
    ATB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxydepletion View Post
    Stagger

Glad you made it. I looked around at the start but could not see you. Were you avoiding me?
    I also could not see the Walsh van.
    ATB
    I arrived early got registered went half way up with Tindersticks then meet fleeter and turbo tom. In the end I had to work hard to be back at the start on time.
    I see by your number that you've done the JIT technique again.
    Well done on your good run.