Thread: Which races

Which races

are on the same course as they've always bin? I ask because I think is important to remember some of the old courses and the records on them, when a course changes in the fell calandar no mention is made of the person who held the record on the old course.
    I know thieveley has changed dramatically, now being longer, Hades hill Fell Race has changed a bit since Dave Lewis took the record, now the record's over a differnt course.
    What about Pendle hill race? and others?

Re: Which races

Cant think of any in Rossendale.....hows China by the way? can you tell 'em apart yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    are on the same course as they've always bin? I ask because I think is important to remember some of the old courses and the records on them, when a course changes in the fell calandar no mention is made of the person who held the record on the old course.
    I agree with this, at my local club we list record holders of previous and current courses for internal events. Maybe the FRA could consider doing something similar or at least acknowleding the date that the course changed?
    Do what you like, like what you do

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I tend to think there is no need to advertise OLD course records in the calendar.
    When you arrive in Halifax, there's hardly a need for a sign saying
    "OLDHAM: Twinned with kranj, Slovenia"

In some cases the old and new course may be as substantially different as Oldham and Halifax you see

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I tend to think there is no need to advertise OLD course records in the calendar.
    When you arrive in Halifax, there's hardly a need for a sign saying
    "OLDHAM: Twinned with kranj, Slovenia"

In some cases the old and new course may be as substantially different as Oldham and Halifax you see
    I see your point here FellMonster, in which case only the record for the new course should be listed. I think a decision needs to be made whether only the current course and it's record is listed or previous course records should be listed as well. It should be one or t'other really, rather than the current situation where records set on different courses are listed, which I think is misleading.

By the way I've been to Oldham (once) but never Halifax so couldn't possibly comment on how different they are.
    Do what you like, like what you do

are there any examples in the calendar of the listed record being from an old (i.e. defunct, and presumably shorter) course?!
    this is news to me

I agree it would be a good idea to list "Since When" the record has stood
    e.g. if the course changed in 1998, the entry could say

"Records (since 1998): 29.36 Daz Slug 2009; f. 36.06 C.Hare 2000"