Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Trigs recces

Re: 15 Trigs recces

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Good to hear you all had some fun. did you pick up all the short cuts and the odd trespass
    not sure about the short cuts and it's not possible to trespass any more is it? (CROW and all that)
    but we did have trouble locating a convenient stile in a couple of places and may've had to step over the odd fence/wall

Emlin to Back Tor, as Sluggard said, has taught me the true meaning of the phrase "heather bashing", and I certainly wouldn't like to try that section with the clag down

next plan will probably concentrate more on the Glossop end... Watch This Space...

How far is the full route may i ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    How far is the full route may i ask?
    Does your screen not have a search button Al

Only kidding full route details are here

but depending on route choice and not getting lost about 55 miles with a 15 hour limit

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    not sure about the short cuts and it's not possible to trespass any more is it? (CROW and all that)

the crossing over Gibralter rocks is a tresspass but I can't see it being a problem as it's short and over heathland. just don't get caught

Emlin to Back Tor, as Sluggard said, has taught me the true meaning of the phrase "heather bashing", and I certainly wouldn't like to try that section with the clag down ...
    The going was much better than expected:generally dry and the heather was only up to my waist - it barely covered Daz's ankles!! Hope it does not get much deeper in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    the crossing over Gibralter rocks is a tresspass but I can't see it being a problem as it's short and over heathland. just don't get caught
    Just had a look at this on the map. As I recall there was an SP (not shown on the map) pointing roughly in their direction. But once you get to Blindside Lane wouldn't you have to divert left round the plantation to pick up the right of way again - so is there much in it? The paths round were quite good going as well.

did a bit of the Glossop end last Saturday
    headed up out of Old Glossop to Harry Hut
    then along to Mill Hill
    then diverted along Pennine Way to pick up the 15 Trigs route again at the top of Hern Clough and striking out for Shelf Stones
    (although came in via the big plane wreck site which I found a little upsetting - will probably avoid this next time)
    picked up Dowstone Clough easily enough and along to Dog Rock (a la Shelf Moor race route), but then went dismally wrong trying to get to Cock Hill, eventually ending up hacking in/out of Small Clough (not recommended)
    still, visibility was good, so when finally stood at Cock Hill trig could at least look back at what I should have done
    then very pleasant/straightforward downhill back down to Old Glossop

but then went dismally wrong trying to get to Cock Hill, eventually ending up hacking in/out of Small Clough (not recommended)
    still, visibility was good, so when finally stood at Cock Hill trig could at least look back at what I should have done
    ... this seems to call for a route description, Daz

I'd like to do this one some time or other

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    ... this seems to call for a route description, Daz

I'd like to do this one some time or other
    we went across to Dowstone Clough to around Dog Rock then on approx bearing of 300 until Small clough where you then contour until the grouse butts where there is a track to run down.

We did speculate on heading slightly further north from DR and running down the grough for a while as this is easier running if a bit further.

Thanks Ian. I must get my route updated based on this discussion. I Anquetted your original description a while ago. Then I just have to run the thing

BTW, referring to the http://www.gofar.org.uk/ 15 Trigs page, I see there is also a 26/27 Trigs, c/o Peter Simpson, Jan 1991, extending into the White Peak. No other completions as yet it seems? How can this be possible?