Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 15 Trigs recces

Re: 15 Trigs recces

Doubtless other variations are available... Yesterday I came up with a longlist of 34 including a few on the W Sheffield fringe (Totleyish). Fellrunning they ain't, though. Omitting 1 or 2 of Pete's and subbing these, 30 could be possible with similar stats.

I think the actual 15 Trigs route is inspired - it's basically Sheffield to Glossop (or Glossop to Sheffield ) and back, following 2 good interesting lines, one north and one south of the Snake, with only the pesky Brown Knoll as any sort of outlier - right down to the fact that the Sportsman and the Royal Oak are both juuuust outside the boundaries of the National Park, so it's a "double traverse" of the Peak District

any extended version has a lot to live up to

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    those extra "White Peak" trigs are in a fairly specific area though aren't they?
    and there's loads of the western side of the District to go at , not to mention bobbing across the Woodhead to the northern bit of the "Dark Peak"

[oh, and there's Stanedge Pole ]
    The original 15 trig were those on the 1984 KIMM (mountain marathon) map published by Harveys who presumably then made it available as a Dark Peak map for the public. I assume they then published a White Peak counterpart which prompted DPFR to cover some of the trigs in this area as well. So the trigs were dictated by what areas these maps covered as opposed to say the OS maps.

IDP - I assume Alan Yates & co might be able to better comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    The original 15 trig were those on the 1984 KIMM (mountain marathon) map published by Harveys who presumably then made it available as a Dark Peak map for the public. I assume they then published a White Peak counterpart which prompted DPFR to cover some of the trigs in this area as well. So the trigs were dictated by what areas these maps covered as opposed to say the OS maps.

IDP - I assume Alan Yates & co might be able to better comment on that.
    This is correct. All the trigs shown on the 84 KIMM map. starting from DP club hut in the Sportsman carpark.

Not sure how the white peak one were chosen. but personnally you could aim for all the trigs inside the Peak national park marked on the original OL1 Dark Peak map ( not the new one) as this would be loads more and involve going in to Sheffield. This should get you up to Blackhill etc

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    This is correct. All the trigs shown on the 84 KIMM map. starting from DP club hut in the Sportsman carpark.

Not sure how the white peak one were chosen.
    Pete Simpson advises as follows:

Subsequently Harveys produced a 2 sided map for sale, with the Karrimor dark peak area on one side and the White Peak on the other..
    On the South side are a further 11 trigs and someone proposed a continous round of all 26 trigs.

Dec 27th 1988 [having accidentally added Flask Edge, I] completed 27 instead of 26 trigs in 23 hours 49 mins

I did the route solo with car support from Frank Yates.I estimated this at 150 km, but if you look at the map you will see that there are lots of route choices and I may not have chosen the optimum route, nor in pre GPS days estimated it very accurately. There is not a lot of ascent, but I did not estimate it.On the Southern half of the map I used roads quite a lot between trigs I also had good clear frosty conditions.

MOUNTAIN MAN - re tomorrow - PM me your phone no so we can arrange...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

ended up solo today (just how I like it! )
    parked at Fairholmes (well, the last layby before Fairholmes so as to avoid 4 squid Pay&Display)
    trogged up via Lost Lad to Back Tor... and I was off!
    dropped off Cartledge Bents to roughly the area where I knew I'd have to start heading NW (MB 308 by my calculation!), tried striking out just after a post on the path, but think that was a bit early, tried again at an "RRW" boundary stone and think that was about right - not that I found much in the way of a path at any stage! ended up following a line of wooden stakes (some very short with white painted tops) - could see Margery Hill on the horizon though so couldn't go too far wrong - blessed relief to reach the edge (a path!) although bloomin windy
    straightforward from MH to Outer Edge - not as boggy as MOUNTAIN MAN had suggested might be the case - just shin-deep in a couple of spots
    dropped SW off OE heading for a line of grouse butts (and blundering through a wreck site), then swapped onto another line of grouse butts with a good track down Broadhead Clough
    easy bit now down the west side of Howden Reser, stopping for a picnic on the headland at Nether Wood Plantation, from where the views of the reser/surrounding hills were stunning in the sunshine
    leaving the reser behind, and up through the plantation on the path between Ditch Clough and Fagney Clough, all the way to Alport Castles - could've tried cutting the corner off here, but off the main path the ground was very tussocky/soggy
    why did nobody mention that the Alport ridge is the WINDIEST PLACE IN THE WORLD!?
    had a nosey as Alport Castles (biggest landslip in UK, amazing, doesn't look real)
    um'ed and ah'ed about bothering to go up to Alport trig - decided sod it, I'm here now, I've got time, I've got a (tiny) bit of energy left, so put jacket on to cut wind chill and set off...
    magically, a teensy-tiny cloud coalesced above the Alport valley and a sprinkling of rain drops were whipped directly at me, so hard as to feel like hail - pressed on thinking it would stop - got worse - a LOT worse - abandoned idea of reaching Alport trig (probably about a km short) and plodded back, moving away from the edge onto the soggy ridge to mitigate the sand-blasting effect of the rain - sheltered in the lee of a wall for a while until it eased off a bit then tried to get a move on back to car (still 2.5M away) - started with yer actual HAIL next (ow on me legs!), and only path (along Rowlee Pasture) continued along exposed edge - would've put waterproof leggings on at this point, but could see it was about to ease off (which it did), and finished up back down at the car in sunshine once more
    6 hours out (for about 18M I reckon)
    text-book day was complete when I got home to find Lady Slugge had just finished baking scones/lemon drizzle cake

Great post fellow Pony
    Hills and Guinness!

Thanks merrylegs - you read it pretty quick though - are you sure you didn't skim?

Well done Daz it looked like a good day. Sorry I could not make it - I think I must be getting more sensible in my old age - not a good sign for fell runner me thinks
    I will try a gentle local run out today to see how things hold up. Hopefully I will be OK for next time.