Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Roberts Fell Race

Re: For you non-skyliners...

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    So were the runners it appears.

Mrs Stagger said they were appearing from all directions.

Its was commented on that some may have taken the old route
    Talking to someone up the front of the field, it sounds as though the wind released one end of a string of tape causing it to blow across the intended route apparently barring the way - this was at the right turn off the Pennine Way. It was fixed back in position when I passed, later that same day.

Re: Ian Roberts Fell Race

Even having run the race I'm not at all sure where I went.
    The course was well marked, but it was a bit head down with the wind, I've not much idea whether I was heading north south east or west.

Given races organisers are/feel obliged to enforce kit requirements, do runners get any leverage on the organisers to supply maps?
    I didn't even notice a map at registration, and there wasn't one one the website. How can a runner make decent use of the obligatory compass without a course map? I don't want to carry a complete OS sheet just in case we head off south rather than north from the start...

Any results yet ??
    I was one of those that went the correct way,and yet was overtaken by the ones who went the wrong way before we finished ! Doh !!!

Banned

The results are on Holmfirth Harriers website, see the following link:

http://www.holmfirthharriers.com/Rianroberts2007.htm

Hmmm,
    Having checked the results I appear to have been beaten by a fair few who I normally manage to keep ahead of - and I have eight miles logged from my footpod for a seven mile race (normal accuracy better than 5%)
    Looks like I'm going to have to do it again next year - after I get a map...

My Garmin made it 6.55 miles (following flagged route)

I am surprised there is no comment on the management and organisation of the race. Firstly of all let me say that I did not do the race. However I understand that

- there was a surprising increase of runners over last year – up from 60 to 150
    - they ran out of race numbers and had to find some extras
    - there was no continuity of the numbers so they weren’t sure how many they’d allocated
    - there was no funnel and inexperienced recorders so
    - some runners were written down wrong
    - some runners milling around near the finish were recorded twice.

Now I for one follow race conditions and take whatever kit is required. On the other hand I expect the organisers to know if I have not finished and do something about it.

Am I incorrect?

Reply in General and letter of apology.

Reply in General:

Someone has commented that odd numbers were allocated when we ran out of the series 1-100. Let me assure you that odd numbers were not allocated. The next series was 233-285 and all the numbers were checked in to the 149 who finished plus the DNF runners.

There was a marshal taking all the numbers halfway round and there were other marshals around the course. On top of that a sweeper followed the last runner.

We fell short of our normal good organisation and our President has written the attached apology.

The wrong direction was taken by the first 42 runners because some walkers on the Pennine Way sent them in that direction and unfortunately a key piece of tape had either been blown away or been moved by walkers.

Tim Cock
    For Holmfirth Harriers

Letter of apology:

11th March 2007

Dear Runner

Thankyou for entering and running the Ian Roberts Memorial fell race today. Holmfirth Harriers AC take great care and pride in organising races and events in general. Much consideration is given to the safety and welfare of all competitors when organising all events I feel that today we let ourselves down and in doing so hosted a less than acceptable event.

Please accept my apologies for any shortcomings which may have occurred today and please be assured that we shall endeavour to ensure that standards remain high in the future.

In March 2008 we shall stage this event again as part of the celebrations for our club centenary year and we look forward to seeing you there.

Yours Sincerely

Ashley Smith
    President

Well said Tim. I'm another one who didn't go to the race this year, but I've done it in the past and it's been excellent. It's one of those gloriously low key fell races where as a runner you basically turn up and run and finish. And then stay for the prize giving in the lovely warm sunny club house - brill! With a bar too.

Quote Originally Posted by HHAC View Post
    Reply in General and letter of apology.

Reply in General:

Letter of apology:

President
    Unfortunately I couldn't run on Sunday, but I'd just like to say what a positive response that was to the hiccups that I read about. Thanks for putting on this race and the others that you organise. We runners depend on your commitment, and you clearly take the responsibility very seriously. I'm looking forward to running next year.