Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The baking thread.

Re: The baking thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss July View Post
    I bet it can't beat my husband's spotted dick.
    Hills and Guinness!

Oh my word i need a lie down after that. The internet never told me making Rice Krispie cakes was so prone to disaster, i don't even know what went wrong, just that the whole effort was FUBAR and i was powerless to do anything about it. Adding butter seemed to make the bad things go away. Maybe using white chocolate had something to do with it? Anyone know?

The first attempt went like cement as soon as i added butter to melted chocolate, but i think having the bain marie sat in boiling water made that happen, anyway it went in the bin. Attempt 2 went ok as long as i kept adding butter and keeping it below 50c, it was going well until i added some golden syrup which made all the butter come back out again and it couldn't be mixed back in. I poured the butter out of the bowl and down the drain, i had nothing to lose then so i just kept on warming it and adding syrup which seemed to produce something relatively workable. Attempt 3 was just with butter and chocolate, no syrup; it went all weird and grainy at the first sign of butter, but more butter and lots of stirring made that problem go away.

I know now how the first alchemists felt, mixing things together and seeing something happen over which you have no understanding or control. I think i now know how the first person who lit hydrogen felt. One batch has got enough butter to give anyone a heart attack, and another enough treacle to rot all your teeth out. I'm just letting the results of my efforts cool a bit before the grand tasting.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

When adding butter to chocolate, at first it looks a mess, but eventually comes good. It just takes a while to meld together(on a low heat). Chocolate is a nightmare when overheated. Best to chop it into small bits and heat gently, a Bain Marie is a good way to not overheat chocolate, as long as the water doesn't boil.

It went so badly though, is white chocolate bad for baking with? Why did all the butter come out when i added syrup? Didn't see that one coming.

The grand tasting will be by my knobhead work colleagues tommorrow. We have to do this thing where everyone brings something in around their birthday, very jingoistic.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It went so badly though, is white chocolate bad for baking with? Why did all the butter come out when i added syrup? Didn't see that one coming.

The grand tasting will be by my knobhead work colleagues tommorrow. We have to do this thing where everyone brings something in around their birthday, very jingoistic.
    White chocolate is even more tempremental. It is less stable due to it only containing the cocoa butter fat and sugar, no cocoa solids. When mixing substances that don't mix well it is sometimes better to try and have them at similar temperatures. If you add cold syrup to a hot mixture it (the syrup) will probably chrystalize. I think the best method would be to very gently melt the chocolate. Let it cool a bit then add your syrup or butter. Gently heating the butter or syrup (stirring the syrup at this stage could also chrystalize it), before adding, would also work.
    This is a good one as a sort of gift http://www.hermanthegermanfriendshipcake.com

I watch far too much cooking ont telly.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 20-09-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Banned
    I've been baking chocolate crinkles for like 10 years already. Orders keep coming especially during Christmas season.