Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stretton Skyline

Looking forward to this on Sunday... Hoping that with a lot more experience in my legs and hopefully more staying power, I can give 3 hours a run for its money...

For all the fantastic races I've done this year, it's always September I've been looking forward to most, with this race, along with Peris and Black Mountains, should be a great months racing...

a great race, looking forward to it again this year.
    Details are here:
    http://www.telfordathleticclub.co.uk...retton-skyline
    nd a map here:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...N2ViZDcxZWM1Mw
    ....it's all downhill from here.

What's the parking situation: at the social club or go find a public car park... wherever? Queried RO but no hear. Looks as if time needs ensuring given the start further away!

Plenty of space around to just park on the street near the social club.

Back to the drawing board after today...

Had to retire at the bottom of the Lawley. Legs were simply not having it today. Was approx 20 minutes down on last year's times but as the race went on I was increasingly having to walk parts which I should be running, and when I had to walk most of the descent off Caradoc I knew something was wrong.

What was the cause...? Overtraining? Quite possibly, but not particularly trained any more than usual. Off day? Possibly, but my main quality is usually the ability to stick things out and drag myself round. Nerves? May have had an effect. Since I finished this race last year I've had my eye on it, as I know there's time to come off...

More likely, a lack of actual recent hard running, in both training and races. Most of the races I've done since March have been long, steep, slogs, the likes of Welsh 1000, Borrowdale, Wasdale, etc. And recent training has reflected that, training sessions generally planned around recovering from races. Perhaps it was the sheer amount of fast running that did for me today.

Hello to DaveMole who looked to be having a flyer. TrevorM was very pleased to hear improved on last year. And "Edmond" from Surrey who I chatted to in the social club before the start (possibly Edmond Jackson from the above post?)

Great atmosphere at the race and as usual for the Shropshire races very well organised.

Next for me.... Drag my sorry arse round Peris next Saturday, then take a good hard look at my training.

Pete

was shocked to see you at the road crossing, Travs: thought you were on for a good race.
    The front runners went out really quick, moreso than usual. I even knocked over 20 mins of my fastest time!
    Suffering for that now, though.
    Ah, well, we pick ourselves up and cary on: good luck at Peris!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Sorry to hear about your bad at the office Travs. Happens to all of us. Maybe take a few weeks out and run easy if you feel you have overtrained. It will only get worse if you keep racing. It takes it toll week after week.

I actually felt like the race went out pretty steady. I was leading out with the front group and it has been A LOT faster in the past. I wasn't the only one to comment on this either. Still...looks like a good PB though from yourself Dave_Mole.

Great day out though, well organised and a classic loop/route.

See you on the peris.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Hi Pete,

Quite the same happened to me - i.e. fatigue - after Lawley. I had thought that with Long Duddon bagged, three 20-mile sessions on the South Downs, Borrowdale, Turner Landscape and Sedburgh, I'd be well-trained come September. But I ground to a grovel the rest of the way and feel considerably more sore this week than the TL/Sedburgh "Fishwick" weekend! Not complaining by any means, it was a spectacular day and company, if a tad baffled how it came to this. Thought I'd allowed reasonable recovery, cross-training etc, in the last few months. The course would seem tricky for any newcomer to recce after Lawley, across farmland etc, if very well marked for the day... I don't know if I'd make it independently even after the event, or if trespassing?! Peris looks hard work, at least by way of distance, so don't be hard on yourself... I know I'm unlikely to be running very soon, easy walking more like!
    Last edited by Edmond Jackson; 07-09-2016 at 07:29 PM.

I know there's a lot on this weekend, but wonder if anybody else is on this tomorrow...?

Great race, my local "biggun" being only just over an hour away. Very tough to get a quick time due to the amount of hard running required.

Hoping to have learnt from last year and put in a much improved performance. Whether I can match 2015 remains to be seen, but let's just get round in one piece first!