Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley

Paddy Buckley

Thanks to Yiannis' posting of the current successful rounds of the Paddy Buckley, here's a quick analysis. I've only counted sub 24 hour rounds in the average time even though there is no actual time limit as most try to do it within a 24hr period. I've also taken Capel Curig and Plas y Brenin to be the same starting point. The same has been done for the Aberglaslyn starting points.

Starting point, Count(Sub-24hr), Avg time
    Capel Curig, 30(27), 21:46
    Aberglaslyn, 20(17), 23:35
    Pont Caer Gors, 1(0),
    Llanberis, 14(13), 21:10
    Ogwen, 0
    Unknown, 2

From the list only three have done the round anti-clockwise and they all started from Aberglaslyn.

Make of the above what you will. It doesn't look as if anyone is keen to start at Ogwen and Pont Cae'r Gors isn't too popular either There's a similar success ratio from the three main starting points but it would seem as if Llanberis leads to the quicker times despite the recent popularity of Capel Curig.

Re: Paddy Buckley

Does any one have a MM or GPS track of the route? I fancy getting down there and doing some long runs to check it out just in case

Cheers
    IDP

It's quite an obvious route really, especially Snowdon, Glyders and the Carneddau. If you come up I can plot the route on MM and print them off, don't know how to save the maps as images or anything else. The Moelwyns section isn't as confusing as it looks once you get to know it and the Hebog section once up Banog is simple enough. Main issue is getting from nantlle ridge to craig wen I reckon.

I'm starting to recce it again anyway so give me a shout if you are coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    It's quite an obvious route really, especially Snowdon, Glyders and the Carneddau. If you come up I can plot the route on MM and print them off, don't know how to save the maps as images or anything else. The Moelwyns section isn't as confusing as it looks once you get to know it and the Hebog section once up Banog is simple enough. Main issue is getting from nantlle ridge to craig wen I reckon.

I'm starting to recce it again anyway so give me a shout if you are coming up.
    Ok Iain will do but I don't think I'm as fast as you

If you draw out the the Track of the route on MM then click on it there is an email option near the bottom. Do you still have my email address?, if not PM me.

I have done some of the route when Nicky was recceing her's and I've done the welsh 3000's so know most of the hills. But on these long challenges we both know it makes sense to really know the route.

From time on the hills when living down there (I failed on the PB a couple of years ago) I'd say the most awkward section on the hill is from Llyn Edno round to Cnicht - there's a few big holes to avoid around that area!

Other than that, make sure you know the way down into Llanberis from Moel Eilio and then the route up through the quarries onto the Glyderau/

I'll have a look tonight Ian.

Yeah, the first part of the Moelwyns section you're guided by a fence it's just knowing which peaks matter, froM Edno can be confusing in clag. I always struggle with Allt fawr to Blwch cwmorthin (still not found the way Nicky took me), and Bwlch Cwmorthin to Cnicht always ended up just heading almost straight to Cnicht, never found a path, over the damn wall and up horribly steep terrain with some traversing.

The quarries are worth a lot of recceing because at night its easy to lose time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    From time on the hills when living down there (I failed on the PB a couple of years ago) I'd say the most awkward section on the hill is from Llyn Edno round to Cnicht - there's a few big holes to avoid around that area!

Other than that, make sure you know the way down into Llanberis from Moel Eilio and then the route up through the quarries onto the Glyderau/
    Yes I think I found one of those holes last time I ran this with Nicky. They called it Dead sheep bog for obvious reasons. I can't remember what but something distracted me and suddenly I was up to my waise in the smelly stuff.

I think we cut down to the right last time before Yr Aelgerth.

Has any one every taken the railway track down through the station, If this was early morning it shouldn't be a problem should it?

The plan had been to go on up through the quarries but one look at it and I bailed, It looks awful

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I'll have a look tonight Ian.

Yeah, the first part of the Moelwyns section you're guided by a fence it's just knowing which peaks matter, froM Edno can be confusing in clag. I always struggle with Allt fawr to Blwch cwmorthin (still not found the way Nicky took me), and Bwlch Cwmorthin to Cnicht always ended up just heading almost straight to Cnicht, never found a path, over the damn wall and up horribly steep terrain with some traversing.

The quarries are worth a lot of recceing because at night its easy to lose time.
    I have to say I loved the Moelwyns, good running if a little confusing at times.

When I was with Nicky et al she went up right to Cnicht where as I stayed on a ramp line, A bit of scrambling but it got me up there first.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Does any one have a MM or GPS track of the route? I fancy getting down there and doing some long runs to check it out just in case

Cheers
    IDP
    Ayup Ian
    tom westgate may have some if not all of the buckley route as a gps log .he has some good maps on a cd to print off which we used when we did it a few years ago.

The way up through the quarries is fine and gets you close to Elidir Fach. Worth doing in daylight first as there are a couple of points where it isn't totally obvious.

The holes I was talking about are 300ft deep air shafts for the slate mines

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    Ayup Ian
    tom westgate may have some if not all of the buckley route as a gps log .he has some good maps on a cd to print off which we used when we did it a few years ago.
    Cheers

I'll drop Tom an email. we used some of his maps on Nickys RR and my BG