Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Horseshoe

Re: Fairfield Horseshoe 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Is there a website for details of this please?
    The Ambleside AC web site includes basic details (including a typo of the date, putting it as 2007 not 2008) but Wikipedia is a bit more helpful with the route description. This map is helpful too:

Thanks Stolly, that'll be why I couldn't find details for 2008 then!

FellMonster

I'm led to believe that the route is similar to that of the Rydal ROund (vica-versa really) but does the Fairfield race do the same dodgy rock climbing section around the side of Hart Crag? In fact, come to think of it, does the Rydal Round? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain Mr Devine led quite a few of us astray that way last year in thick mist....

There's also quite a few little shortcuts round the side of little summits, peaks and troughs which I found out much to my cost.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    I'm led to believe that the route is similar to that of the Rydal ROund (vica-versa really) but does the Fairfield race do the same dodgy rock climbing section around the side of Hart Crag? In fact, come to think of it, does the Rydal Round? Because I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain Mr Devine led quite a few of us astray that way last year in thick mist....

There's also quite a few little shortcuts round the side of little summits, peaks and troughs which I found out much to my cost.
    It all depends on which way you go, personal choice, route finding skill and who you follow!

FellMonster

My moto when you're in thick mist in a strange area is to follow someone who *seems to know* where they are going......

I hope the person in front of me knows where they're going!

FellMonster

Can't be guaranteed sadly.....one of our numpties from the fell ponies followed a runner from TRING (Portsmouth direction i believe) at the Edale Skyline last year......and then had a good whinge about losing time.....truth is he didnt have a good whinge (that was me, from my tent and tea experience) but he bloody well should have!

I think you'll find Tring is nowhere near Portsmouth but it is darn sarf.

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    My moto when you're in thick mist in a strange area is to follow someone who *seems to know* where they are going......
    I might have local Club vest on, but that means nothing come race day. I regularly get lost in races and on training runs.

Follow me at your peril, but don't dare fu*king whinge if you/we do get lost. That's fellrunning. If you don't laugh about it at the end of the race you should pi*s off and do some road running.

But generally I'm a pretty relaxed sort of chap.
    Why walk when you can run.

Will you be hogholing again at the gates on the lower slopes of 1st climb Noor?