Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Horseshoe

Fairfield Horseshoe

So, with a week to go, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice for my first Fairfied (have walked it many times, but never tried to tackle it at speed).

Think I can picture the intended route (thankyou Ambleside AC website). The run to the finish looks a toughie!!

Re: Fairfield Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    The run to the finish looks a toughie!!
    It's one of the toughest 800m's I've ever done along that track, hitting the wall twice along it before now. Every year I always promise I'll go back and do a few fast reps of it so come the race it wont feel so bad. Not much time left.

It is a fabulous route though, lots of little line choices rather than major route choices, but they all add up to save a bit of time.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Thanks for that, I can't say I'll be too hot on the choice of line, I'll be pleased to get round without twisting my ankle AGAIN.
    What is the likely shoe choice here??

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Thanks for that, I can't say I'll be too hot on the choice of line, I'll be pleased to get round without twisting my ankle AGAIN.
    What is the likely shoe choice here??
    Any that you feel comfortable running flat out down hill for half the race in!
    Did it in Flyrocs 310's last weekend and were fine. Will wear mudclaws on day though, more confident rock-hopping in them.

Would appreciate hints/tips regarding when to cross walls etc to avoid nasty bits.............................

Just looked through the entries list. Surely the field is too big. How will we all get through the farmyard onto the fell. Is it going to start from the normal spot?! Whose making the flapjack? Will there be enough?

"Is it going to start from the normal spot?! Whose making the flapjack? Will there be enough?"

Glad to see that your priorities are sorted!!
    I'm hoping to avoid a "loaves and fishes" moment, so wil probably bring my own flapjack supplies!
    Any news on where is best to get across the wall??

If I tried to bring my own flapjack I'd eat it on route in the car. I bought a bit of home made stuff from the local whole food shjop yesterday and began munching it a few minutes out along the road, bag in pocket, breaking bits off.

I don't need to ask if any of it made it home!!
    It seems rude to leave a little bit.........or so my family of locusts would tell you! Leaving a little bit of anything lying around seems doomed to failure.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Huwski View Post
    Would appreciate hints/tips regarding when to cross walls etc to avoid nasty bits.............................
    Last time I ran it, just before Easter so not too long ago, I stayed on the RH side, looking towards Ambleside, of the wall all the way past Low Pike, you can go that low, there's a stile in a corner of the wall there. Alternatively you can come across the wall above Low Pike, I've not ran that section before.

Eitehr way watch out for a pth that takes you off left to avoid Brock Crags, this brings you down to the track that will lead you to the gate that will take you back along the track to Rydal.

I'm entered in this one but its not looking good. I may be one of those who does a no show I've done one run since 3P's longer than 200m. I've managed to bruise my cartlilage and as I'm a physio giving it intensive treatment but making very slow progress. I'm giving it till thursday before I decide for definite that I'm not going but its really not looking good.