Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairfield Horseshoe

Signed up now... not done this race before, but a scan through past results and a very ambitious target would be 1:40 and perhaps more realistic 1:45....

Assuming I find my way off Fairfield in the clouds without too much trouble of course!

Very disappointed - I was planning to do Fairfield this year after a five year break, but a back injury 4 weeks ago has left me unable to drive the 250M to Ambleside! Hey, ho - it'll still be there next year I suppose! It's a great race, and camping at Rydal Hall for the weekend makes for a lovely weekend in the fells :-)

What a fantastic race... should have known it would live up to expectations... I drove up and back from Coventry and it was worth every minute of the 6hr round trip...

I’m sure everyone knows the race so I won’t go into too much detail.... suffice to say the initial climb onto the ridge was painful, but by Great Rigg my legs were moving and was positively hammering the climbs... hit Fairfield in 57 or 58 minutes... surprisingly held my own on the descent as far as High Pike, but then started to feel the hard pace, and lost a minute or two (if not too many positions) on those in front of me... I’d forgotten how far it was from High Pike down to Sweden Bridge... finally hit the finish in a little under 1hr46 for 60th place...

Great race and really well organised by Ambleside AC... a great day...

Hello to Dave Mole... and EdmondJackson (I did see you on the way up the first climb but could never quite reach you, and you soon pulled away!).

Well done Travs! The worst bit is when you hit the track and your legs forget how to run on the flat!!! Good work Edmond too if you are reading - cracking time for an old bloke that :-)

so: I did it!

conditions couldn't have been much better on Saturday: good viz and a cool breeze.
    Thanks for the advice on here: I found the track avoiding the "step" but dithered and followed the person in front along the wall towards the step. In the end it was fine: it's not exposed and there are good hand and foot holds with a clear and flat landing at the bottom. Just a bum-shuffle over the edge and it was fine. Ironically, the trod avoiding the step seems to be faster and better running....

A great race, with a real mix of hard climb, nice grassy running and some rock. None of it is difficult or exposed, although some of it is technical and there are some lines to be found! Amazing views and lovely atmosphere. Thanks to all involved.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Bit late with this post I know, but just wanted to say I loved running Fairfield, the weather was ideal, although I was probably too hot with a merino layer on and a tshirt. Tough ascent that went well, but I probably pushed too hard as I found myself walking on some downhill sections! But for my first proper fell race I was super pleased with finishing, and was totally exhausted at the end! Looking forward to doing a lot more!

Super friendly folk on the course to, massive thanks.

Anybody else on this saturday?

Looking forward to a return to racing. Saw a couple of familiar names on the lineup in the form of occasional forumites...

After running 1hr46 a couple of years ago at my first attempt, i'm hoping to give 1hr40 a run for its money. Although bearing in mind it'll be first fell race of any format for almost 9 months, perhaps i'm being a little ambitious.

I was but too many consecutive weekends of racing recently due to me entering anything going after the racing drought. So my place is up for grabs if anyone wants it rather than it going to waste. Just need an email address and I can transfer free of charge.

Currently got gastro so I'll probably be offering my entry up
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I've just recieved an email with the details for this Saturday. This was a huge shock, as i hadn't realised that i had automatically got an entry rolled over from 2020!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent