Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667

Thread: Fairfield Horseshoe

The first time I did the Langdale 'Bad Step' it was possible to squeeze underneath the chockstones and emerge at the top. This would have been early 1970s. It's since become blocked by debris. The REALLY bad step is probably the Witches Step, on Arran. It's polite name is the Old Ladies Slot or Step. I think the literal translation from the Gaelic may be ruder than that - Ceum na Cailleach.
    Last edited by Mark G; 02-06-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    The REALLY bad step is probably the Witches Step, on Arran. It's polite name is the Old Ladies Slot or Step. I think the literal translation from the Gaelic may be ruder than that - Ceum na Cailleach.
    I once went along the ridge that includes the Witches Step. I arrived at the top of the step, and thought, "NO!".

But on Arran, isn't A' Chir supposed to be much more interesting? But I suppose that's a whole Bad Ridge, not a Bad Step.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Andrew Bibby's novel The Bad Step is the one on the Langdale Horseshoe - the story is based around whether a runner falls or is pushed off to his death - so for me that is The One.
    Yes and for me too, I just didn't engage my imagination when bringing this discussion to the forum. If Wainwright refers to it as "the rock step" that's gospel for me.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I once went along the ridge that includes the Witches Step. I arrived at the top of the step, and thought, "NO!".

But on Arran, isn't A' Chir supposed to be much more interesting? But I suppose that's a whole Bad Ridge, not a Bad Step.
    I arrived at the bottom coming the other way. Scrambled part way up and thought NO. We did a traverse, regained the ridge and came back to the top. Scrambled part way down. Thought NO. At the time I was climbing fairly regularly and had no issues with soloing Broad Stand in either direction. It was pretty intimidating but we were wearing boots and carrying rucksacks.