Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti Inflammatory Tablets

Anti Inflammatory Tablets

How long before a run would you take them to be effective during the run? I'm guessing 5 minutes before you set off will be too late..............
    Anyone got any anti inflamatory tablet tales to tell/advice to offer?

Banned

Re: Anti Inflamatory Tablets

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    How long before a run would you take them to be effective during the run? I'm guessing 5 minutes before you set off will be too late..............
    Anyone got any anti inflamatory tablet tales to tell/advice to offer?
    They are usually slow working on me so I yake one the evening before, one in the morning and one before the race.

Don't risk it though. If your not 100% forget the race and do as your body is telling you.

I will never run on tablets again

Being a beginner i get alot of aches and pains, mainly shin splints, but today i had ankle pain, so i took 2 ibrufen before i went to Heaton Park, and 2 when i came back, and although i am aware of my shins, they are not half as in the pain they are usually.

But i guess cos i am a beginner, i choose to take them to help me continue.

Maybe you should speak to your doctor about taking them?

I need the Ibups Ady - for cramp more than owt!

I take a couple before a long run - maybe 30 mins before and then carry some with me - I also carry the gel to administer direct.

But I tend not to use them away from the long runs. I'll have 2 before the PPP and probably take 3 (one at a time) in running.

Nuun tablets this year though so I'm hopin they will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I need the Ibups Ady - for cramp more than owt!

I take a couple before a long run - maybe 30 mins before and then carry some with me - I also carry the gel to administer direct.

But I tend not to use them away from the long runs. I'll have 2 before the PPP and probably take 3 (one at a time) in running.

Nuun tablets this year though so I'm hopin they will help.
    WP what is the gel like to take? seen it in the chemist, but not tried it yet?
    I had bad cramp in my side today, is that what the Nuun tablets are for?

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    The gel is anti-inflamatory/pain relief but take a while to be absorbed through the skin (so best applied sooner rather than later).
    Nuun tablets help replace salts lost through sweat.

I agree with WP's advice.. although I would take an hour before to make sure there out of my stomach before I start running so to speak.

The thing with ibuprofen for me is that they are sometimes a bit hard on the stomach, so I take with or just after food. So if I'm taking before a run to stop / minimise pain kicking in i'll take an hour / hour and a half beforehand with half a slice of bread or some porridge if it's a long one.

if you're planning on using them for an upcoming race /event I would try them out with your training runs first to see how they work best for you.

I can do down hill

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    Most people get cramp in their legs, is what you got not just a bad stitch?
    If it is a stitch, think back to if you had anything to drink/eat within an hou8r or so before you set off. I have to be really strick with myself so that i dont ever touch an ounce of food or a sip or drink for 2 hours before i run or ill get a bad stitch.

I'll have to remember the try the Ibupro's for cramps, cheers for the idea WP

I wouldn't
    not anymore

I've done it a couple of times - just ahead of setting off.
    One time was on the Borrowdale - I crashed and burned at the top of Dale Head, it took me 1:44 - yes 1 hour and 44 minutes to reach the finish (i.e. 2 miles downhill)

Then last weekend on a long recce. At 4 hours I crashed, felt sick and weak for the next 2 hours.

never again.

As Stagger says, if you need them to allow you to run then really you shouldn't run.

I'd still take them after a run to minimise the inflammatory response that follows. Trouble with taking them after is it kinda puts beer off the menu (as they are bad for the stomach and you can end up pretty sick).

avoid them if you can
    Last edited by andy k; 16-04-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Ady,

I tend to use them on long runs, usually well into the run though, not before, but I am talking about events like the Fellsman, it defnitely helps when you are starting to flag just to relive the inflamed legs. I would be very careful though I finished my first Fellsman fine and didn't feel any pain, I had taken about three of the 400mg tablets over the last 20 miles or so. It was only the week later I started feeling pain when walking and driving (extension of my leg on the clutch pedal) that I went to the hospital and was told I had a stress fracture in my tibia.............................You have been warned