Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti Inflammatory Tablets

Re: Anti Inflamatory Tablets

Ady, I ran the AW on a good dose of diclofenac to calm down my sciatic back problem. I wouldn't have been able to run it otherwise: as it was, I did a decent time!

I took 100mg the night before and 100mg with breakfast: with the race starting at 11.30 there was plenty of time to have a decent brek and let it all go down.

Diclofenac is harder on the stomach than ibuprofen so I need to take them with food and like most people I can't run within two hours of eating anything substantial, so that sort of dictates when I can take them.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Most people get cramp in their legs, is what you got not just a bad stitch?
    If it is a stitch, think back to if you had anything to drink/eat within an hou8r or so before you set off. I have to be really strick with myself so that i dont ever touch an ounce of food or a sip or drink for 2 hours before i run or ill get a bad stitch.

I'll have to remember the try the Ibupro's for cramps, cheers for the idea WP
    I had not eaten at all since lunchtime, then it was only ham on brown with fruit salad, and lots of water, so not sure what it could have been, but the stitch was in my side or stomach, maybe breathing to hard LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by NirvanaBliss View Post
    I had not eaten at all since lunchtime, then it was only ham on brown with fruit salad, and lots of water, so not sure what it could have been, but the stitch was in my side or stomach, maybe breathing to hard LOL!
    Where do I start?

Stitch - it is often caused by food, but could be tiredness / stress. Try changing your breathing patterns - it can get rid. Most runners breath in rhythm with their feet eg. in on a right foot strike and out on the next right foot strike. Try changing to left foot or breath in a rhythm of 3 if you understand and the stitch can be got rid off, particulalry if food / drink induced.

Ibups - I only have experince of ibuprofen and use the normal 200mg strength sainsbury's brand.
    My guts are rock solid - always have been - so I don;t tend to suffer whatever I take, but I am careful none the less.

Food 2 hours before running!!
    So how do you approach the 3 peaks if you eat 2 hours before start and then you have to run 4 hours +??
    You have to train yourself. When I was just a roadie doing 10Ks and under I adopted the 2 hour rule.
    Now I can eat and have a coffee 15 minutes vefore a long run without any stitch issues.
    Just train yourself to do it.

Cramps - I find that a quick application of ibup gel directly on to the cramping muscle can have an instant effect.
    For a twisted ankle though - not so - it takes time to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Where do I start?

Stitch - it is often caused by food, but could be tiredness / stress. Try changing your breathing patterns - it can get rid. Most runners breath in rhythm with their feet eg. in on a right foot strike and out on the next right foot strike. Try changing to left foot or breath in a rhythm of 3 if you understand and the stitch can be got rid off, particulalry if food / drink induced.

Ibups - I only have experince of ibuprofen and use the normal 200mg strength sainsbury's brand.
    My guts are rock solid - always have been - so I don;t tend to suffer whatever I take, but I am careful none the less.

Food 2 hours before running!!
    So how do you approach the 3 peaks if you eat 2 hours before start and then you have to run 4 hours +??
    You have to train yourself. When I was just a roadie doing 10Ks and under I adopted the 2 hour rule.
    Now I can eat and have a coffee 15 minutes vefore a long run without any stitch issues.
    Just train yourself to do it.

Cramps - I find that a quick application of ibup gel directly on to the cramping muscle can have an instant effect.
    For a twisted ankle though - not so - it takes time to absorb.
    Thank you Witton, i guess what did not help is i had the Ibru tablets with water on an empty stomach, and yesterday was quite a stressful day, so it could be down to that, has i don't normally get a stitch, have copy/paste what you written and will add to my notes!

Thanks again! x

If you get stomach problems with Ibups, try Nurofen Lemon Meltets (orally to avoid any confusion), I use these and they seem to go straight into my cheeks thus bypassing my stomach completely! Not sure how this works. Expensive - but worth the cost. Also agree, coffee and cake for anything over half mara, immediately before, no problems.
    Grok on!

Quote Originally Posted by Behind You View Post
    If you get stomach problems with Ibups, try Nurofen Lemon Meltets (orally to avoid any confusion), I use these and they seem to go straight into my cheeks thus bypassing my stomach completely! Not sure how this works. Expensive - but worth the cost. Also agree, coffee and cake for anything over half mara, immediately before, no problems.

Thanks i went to asda this morning when it opened, and i bought some of the meltets, almost £3 for 12, but hopefully they work much faster.

Be careful about using non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen, Dicloflex, Diclofenac, Voltaren (/ol). They can cause acute renal failure in some people particularly in combination with dehydration. They can also cause epigastric/pancreatic pain. There have been deaths attributed to ibuprofen used by dehydrated runners in the Marathon des Sables and other ultras. One of my daughters ended up in hospital on a drip in February after such a reaction and it's not as rare a side effect as you might think.
    I use a little Ibu gel after a long run sometimes to stop me cramping up when driving home, but I drink plenty with it and use it very cautiously now.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

for localised pain in joints (in my case bunions / general malformed big toe joint) I can recommend voltarol cream as a topical treatment - better than ibuprof-gel in my opinion.

Thanks, i had been using them alittle too much, whats your reviews on tens machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Be careful about using non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen, Dicloflex, Diclofenac, Voltaren (/ol). They can cause acute renal failure in some people particularly in combination with dehydration. They can also cause epigastric/pancreatic pain. There have been deaths attributed to ibuprofen used by dehydrated runners in the Marathon des Sables and other ultras. One of my daughters ended up in hospital on a drip in February after such a reaction and it's not as rare a side effect as you might think.
    I use a little Ibu gel after a long run sometimes to stop me cramping up when driving home, but I drink plenty with it and use it very cautiously now.
    Always take with food as well, it won't take many diclofenac without food to give you a stomach ulcer