Thread: Smoke Alarms...

Exclamation Smoke Alarms...

I ended up in A&E the other night, which was a long long night, when they sent me for a xray on the bed trolley, there was also a man outside of the xray room also on a trolley, and he was talking to the porter, he said he worked nights usually, but work asked him to do a double shift, came home from work in the evening, put in a meal from freezer into the oven, he thought to be 30 mins cooking time, he said he lay on his bed and must have fell asleep, he said he was completely in a deep sleep, he said it must have been 2 hours later. What woke him up was the smoke alarm, he said he ignored it first, didn't know what it was, but then smelt smoke, so he got up, luckily he said he shut the doors in the living room, he said the paint was peeling from the door, he said he had to get out, but was scared as he was on the 12th floor of a high rise flats, so luckily for him he said if he did not have a smoke alarm he would have died.

He said he got himself out through the front door, alerted 999.

He said if he did not have the smoke alarms he would have been dead from the smoke/fire, as he could not have jumped out of the window.

He i would say was about 35 - 40 yrs old, he was head to toe in soot/smoke whatever the best way of describing it.

I wanted to tell you this, because yesterday i made sure my smoke alarms are working, and i have stupidly got food out of the oven and forgot to turn off the oven for hours, so its something we can do, especially if you work long hours.

Please make sure you have smoke alarms, if you do not have them, then contact the fire service, they fit them for free.

Better to be reminded, as this really was a wake up call for him!
    Last edited by NirvanaBliss; 19-04-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Re: Smoke Alarms...

Great post!

We checked ours last week and the battery had gone, so it's important to check every week really.

disco stan

Mains powered ones are best, no worries abot your batteries running out

Quote Originally Posted by disco stan View Post
    I know many electricians, its getting them to fit them through the mains. Maybe your company should offer this as a service, might be a good idea being its a credit crunch...

Quote Originally Posted by disco stan View Post
    I don't know too much about mains ones to be honest, but what if it's an electrical fire and the circuits have broken?

disco stan

Good point old chap. I think mine have battery backup.
    They're on there own circiut anyhow and i installed them, but shit can happen.

I had a scare once. Smoke alarms are good, check them.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice