Thread: Jura Fell Race Cycling

Jura Fell Race Cycling

Anyone done this trip?

Is there a standard set of ferries people normally get?

What are the usual timings?

How long does the total trip take?

Re: Jura Fell Race Cycling

Hi Iain

Might be worth considering the Hopscotch from Ardrossan:

http://www.calmac.co.uk/hopscotch_route17

I've usually gone from Kennacraig to Port Askaig then over to Jura. Its pretty painless stuff. Might try the hopscotch this year.

last year we drove to Rest and Be Thankful Thursday, camped, drove to Kennacraig, dumped car and then Ferry > islay > Jura Friday, but this year we're starting to consider the biking it from Ardrossan option.

Just realised you don't have to cycle Islay as well, so it's not as big a trip as I imagined.

Cycling from Ardrossan is brilliant. There's a secure car park there where we usually kip before pushing onto the first ferry over to Arran. It's a beautiful ride from Brodick to Lochranza via Glen Sannox which you can either do fairly briskly (not too fast though, the scenery is gobsmacking) so you can catch the early ferry or take your time and have a coffee in the pub in Lochranza before catching the later one. If you go for the latter option, you could take the slightly longer route over the String and then up the west coast.

The ride from Clonaigh, where the Lochranza boat docks, over to Kennacraig is pretty short - just up and down really. Some people add a detour in to visit Skipness to see the castle, others go the extra few miles to get a brew in Tarbert. Usually loads of time as the Islay boat doesn't leave until 1pm.

As has been said earlier, the 1pm boat from Kennacraig usually takes you to Port Askaig on the Friday before the race. If your'e really lucky, it goes to Port Ellen, and you get to cycle across Islay - which is a bonus. Either way, this is the longest of the three ferries, and you can put your feet up, eat, drink etc. If you do it on the Friday before the race, you'll meet scores of cyclists at Kennacraig - trying the patience of the poor Calmac chaps!!

And as for Jura ... it is always best seen from a bike.

An alternative route I would like to try is Gourock-Dunoon-Portavadie_Tarbert anybody tried that way?

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Anyone done this trip?

Is there a standard set of ferries people normally get?

What are the usual timings?

How long does the total trip take?
    We have cycled via Arran for about the last 10 years. Its a must do trip.

Ian

Did it last year but set off on the Wednesday with a stopover at Lochranza youth hostel. The bike rides may be short but on a mountain bike with a 90 litre rucsac they were pretty bad. Having said that I had a decent run. The ferries and bike rides make it feel like a bit of an adventure though! Last year the weather was perfect too. If I was doing it this year I would definitely make some weight savings. Overall highly recommend it.

Cheers

Steve

Car park at Adrossan is about £2.00 per 24 hours, ferry fares from there for you plus bike about £35 return - the staff in the terminal are usually very helpful re best deal, hopscotch ticket etc. (Add a couple of quid for the last ferry as its not Calmac).
    Very feasible to do Adrossan to Craighouse in a day and same on return but much nicer to break the journey - loads of wild camping and a good but basic camp site on Islay at Kintra. Rides are hilly but short. If you are going all the way in one day you might like to try to get the direct ferry to Port Askaig - it is a lovely ride from Port Ellen to Port Askaig but it can be a long way in to the wind!